Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

"Unless you've walked aa mile in the shoes of the mom of the kid who could actually die from eating a cashew or sesame seed, dont' roll your eyes over the special snacks or the nut-free camp rules."

A quote in my Parents magazine this month.  Made me a little happy to see it there, even if it was towards the back.  But very well said :).

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
corrinacs
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:25 AM

This is my child :( :(.  I hate it, but it is what it is.  The best you can do is ask the parent.  "hey, I want to have a party, what food is safe for your child".  For me, we have tons of deliciuos safe foods.....like oreos LOL.

Quoting Moogie1005:

I know a little girl who is allergic to many foods. Trying to find things for her to eat is difficult at best.

corrinacs
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Oh, wow.  I am lucky I don['t have a neighbor like that!  I would have risen hell about it.  We live in an area with an HOA, so we would have complained!  That's so dangerous!

Quoting Mrs.Campfield:

Glad to see this. My nephew has a peanut allergy and my sisters neighbor feeds the chipmunks peanuts and they leave shells in her yard. She cant convince her neighbor to stop.

Courtcase1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM

My husband and son are allergic and it's amazing how many people actually seemed "offended" when I ask to read labels or explain that he can't eat that...  It's such a common allergy now as well.  He starts kindergarten in the fall and will have to sit at the "peanut free" table.  I know the school has to come up with some way to ensure the kids aren't getting nuts, but it makes me sad that he has to be isolated from the rest of his class.

corrinacs
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I know :/.  I wonder if his school does this as well.  It makes me feel horrible to have to do this to him.  Its one of the reasons I at least considered private school.  Private schools are more likely to be peanut free.  But it costs more than an arm and a leg :/.

Quoting Courtcase1:

My husband and son are allergic and it's amazing how many people actually seemed "offended" when I ask to read labels or explain that he can't eat that...  It's such a common allergy now as well.  He starts kindergarten in the fall and will have to sit at the "peanut free" table.  I know the school has to come up with some way to ensure the kids aren't getting nuts, but it makes me sad that he has to be isolated from the rest of his class.

rmgriffberg
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

no nut allergies in this house but my dd is allergic to peaches. not deathly and dr thinks she will out grow it but idk how many time i have had to remind my mil that she cant have anything with peaches.

Bmama1
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:16 AM
24 moms liked this

Hello, I'm one of those people. I refuse to change my life or my lifestyle for other people's needs. It's THEIR responsibility to keep them safe. I don't think it's ok for schools to dictate what my son can or cannot eat because of other students. It's BS.

STVUstudent
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Thankfully, my kids do not have any life threatening food allergies, but for the parents who deal with it, my heart goes out to them.  As a parent, you want what is best for your child- including fun, enriching activities.  You should not have to isolate your child so they don't inadvertently get ahold of a peanut butter sandwich.

My kids' new school has a peanut butter table.  All kids who have peanut butter in their lunch eat at this one table that is well sanitized after lunch (along with the kids hands and faces).  The first day, my boy came home and told me they had to eat at the little table because they had peanut butter... I asked the school, they explained it, end of story!  We just had to have the conversation about how they are not allowed to trade lunch unless the teacher says its okay... 

I am sure they would do the same for any other food allergies...

LoganTroyMom
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM
who would roll their eyes about that? wtf? people man..
2bkayleesmommy
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Um.. This is simple, not that hard.. If my dd/ds were deathly allergic from a food and ppl didn't understand that church, house of god ala lucifer whatever someone prays to I'd get in their face and say, "do u want to kill my child?" (They'll say no) and then say, "then STOP giving my child food!!! Hello!!! I said this 1x!" I bet they won't do it again

Quoting Kimedbs:

Amen!  My DD is allergic to peanuts, and while she is rarely with out me at this stage, I struggle with getting people at Church to understand and stop offering her foods that I haven't approved, and some of the family doesn't exactly get it either.  People need to understand that we aren't just being picky and avoiding a tummy ache or a case of hives, we are trying to preserve our children's lives.  I jokingly tell my husband that one day I'll have to tackle some old granny who's shoving a piece of candy in my dd's mouth when I'm not looking, but I'd seriously do it. lol 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)