Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

So lost.....

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hello all

I'm new on this site and in need of some advice before I totally lose it.  I'm a sahm of a 2 1/2 year old boy who is my miracle child, I have PCOS had 2 mc's before DS was born. Anyway, lately he has been absolutely terrible to me. No one else it's just me. He does go to daycare 2 days a week and spends 1 day with his Grammy. So it's not like he is stuck in the house with just me all the time. Just about every night after dinner we go outside and play when the sun has moved to the front of our house. I try to keep a schedule with him, but lately it just seems like there is no enjoyment in either of our lives. He seems angry all the time, hitting kicking, spitting, and the occasional biting. DH and I have taken to calling him the 2 year old terrorist, (behind closed doors). It sounds horrible but that is what it feels like. I dread being home alone with him, because our day consists of fighting for power. He hits I tell him we don't hit, and put him in TO and that is a fight because he won't sit. Then when i get close enough to sit him back down he swats at me again. I'm at my rope's end. I can't get anything done as far as laundry and cleaning. I'm so overwhelmed with the task of being a mom to this tyrant that I can't even begin to pick anything up. That in itself is frustrating. It's hurting my marriage because I'm so out of touch with everything, because my tolerance is spent dealing with DS. I know toddler hood is tough but really? I can't imagine any mom making it through this with ANY sanity left. Especially even to think about having more children. I've always wanted a big family and so does DH but DS is swaying me to the way of an only child. I need help please!

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CampClan
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM

hugs I can't offer any words of advice other than I hope & pray it's only a phase.

ALWsMomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 10:15 AM
That sounds really tough! Maybe you should talk to his doctor about his behavior. Has there been any major life changes lately? Sometimes kids struggle to new things. His behavior sounds a little extreme to me but I'm no expert. Good luck Momma! I know it is tough but you will figure it out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cew122206
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM

No major changes, and this started before he started the 2 day daycare. We haven't moved or done anything to change his situation. I thought at the beginning it was from my tension and depression (dealing with since ds birth). But that hasn't changed either. DH came home early from work because it was really bad this morning, and we discussed talking to the doctor about it. Thank you for your support.

STKsMomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Hang in there. It will get better. I would try changing his routine. And his punishments. I am mobile or I would go into more detail.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Abee2202
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this
Do you give him choices? My daughter is 31m and we give her lots of options so she feels in control. This has aliviated a lot of power struggles. She also likes to be helpful so I give her small tasks to do like sort her cleaned underwear (she has two kinds - hello kitty and plain) this buys me time to get her stuff hung and put away. Sometimes she doesn't want to brush her teeth so I ask her if she wants daddy or me to do it, or to do it in the living room or bathroom.
We have very rare actually tantrums or defiance. She could be just easy going but I believe since we treat her with respect that it can be part of how she treats us back as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM

i have no advice. here's a bump.

My3coconuts
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Could this be a result from daycare?
ALWsMomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Good luck!

Quoting cew122206:

No major changes, and this started before he started the 2 day daycare. We haven't moved or done anything to change his situation. I thought at the beginning it was from my tension and depression (dealing with since ds birth). But that hasn't changed either. DH came home early from work because it was really bad this morning, and we discussed talking to the doctor about it. Thank you for your support.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vero2410
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Do you think he has seen other kids behave this way at the daycare and he is just repeating what he see there?
You should have a talk with someone at the daycare and let them know that this behavior started once he started attending.
In the meantime try to be a little stricter I guess until he understands where his behavior gets him which is no where. I have a 28 month old DD n she was getting like your ds. But I did spank on her bum. Of course not hard but they get more embarrassed then they do hurt n sometimes she would laugh. N I just got very stern with her n ignored her bad behavior until she started acting normal n then I would give her my attention. If by crying n screaming and acting out is the way he sees he gets things his way he will continue. N you have to show him otherwise. Wishing you the best of luck. I know how hard it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Maybe try a rewards chart for when he behaves well along with punishing him when he misbehaves. Give him some choices on what he can wear, do ect. My 2 year old can be a really pain sometimes with her attitude and I have had to do long time outs with her. One time it took almost an hour of putting her back till she calmed down long enough to sit for 2 minutes. Some days are worse than others. Also make sure to get him out to play and run around some to burn some energy, I know that helps for my daughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN