Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Alone in my parenting style?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM
  • 54 Replies
3 moms liked this

I encourage my son to play outside or in the house (with out the tv), wont let him see violent or inappropriate things on tv.  I continue to see parents who have grown up shows on while thier LO is in the same room.  They say that the kid is not paying attention, but they are!!  My good friend is the worst, letting the kid watch R rated movies.  She justifies it cause its on tv, so it must mean everything bad is edited out!

I wont even have anything thats not kid friendly on if my child is awake (we DVR everything!).  The non-kid directed show my son watches is baseball.  or becaue he is very much into trucks and wants to watch the ice-road truckers, which I allow occationally if the sound is off cause those guys talk like truckers! 

Am I sheltering too much?  I feel so alone in this battle sometimes.  But I want my son to have the chance to be child for as long as he can! I don't feel my son is not in reality, if he asks me a question I answer him as honestly as his 4 year old brain can handle. 

Randi
Wife to Ryan ~ Mama to Jax (4)

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SMTCMMoore
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm the same way, I shelter from sex, drugs and violence. No video games at all, outside play encouraged. He'll get all that soon enough. We are focusing on good faith and good character in our kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
You go momma.....keep up the good work!!!! You are not alone. Maybe it is time to look for similar friends!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:50 PM

You are not alone! Kids do not need to be exposed to drugs, sex, violence, or even some of the arguing that takes place on TV from such a young age.

PEEK05
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I do not let my children watch anything inappropriate for their ages. Thankfully we don't have TV channels (even basic) so I am able to censor what they watch.

cherokeegoddess
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM

my best friend had called me because my nephew had touched her inappropriately and kissed her chest. she called me freaking out asking what do i let him watch on TV. first of all i don't let him watch but about maybe an hour or 2 anytime he's over here and its basically preschool programs on sprout. so she called people asking them the same question. so i asked the teachers at his childcare center ( i work there as well) and one of them told me that there was a little boy in his class that was really touchy feely and kind of did the same thing to her.she told me that it made her so uncomfortable that she had went to our boss and of course nothing happened. i was like whoa ok i'll tell mom. you can never be too careful in what your child watches after all life imitates art. monkey see monkey do. they think if its ok that they do it on TV then they can do it as well. 

ashleywagoner
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:05 PM
I would not let my son watch anything inappropriate either...just caillou and Mickey mouse clubhouse around here (;
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH and I are the same way. If the tv is on while the girls are awake it is usually sesame street or super why or finding nemo (dd1 favorite movie right now). We encourage playing inside because we are in an apartment but they will be able to play outside when we move into our house at the end of this month. When the girls aren't playing I work with dd1 I work on numbers, colors, letters and words and with dd2 its baby sign language. DH and I wait to watch our shows or movies after the girls go to bed.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, not alone.  My kids only watch cartoons or sports with DH.  They have their entire lives to be desensitized to horror, swearing, sex, etc. I don't need to start that now.  I am a VERY laid back parent but there are things that I just don't do and that is one of them.  I'm even against them watching older kid/adult cartoons.  Some parents let their kids watch Family Guy or Simpsons and they are so not appropriate for little ears.  I LOVE LOVE Family Guy but never in a million years would I let my kids watch it.

Rae706
by Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Same way! I almost lost it in the grocery store the other day because this grown man kept cussing right behind me, dh, and ds3. Ds looked at me and said "mommy can I say shit, is that a bad word? He already knew, but still... I was like "dh take ds outside, I need to handle this!"

He said no lmbo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaXRandi
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Thats awesome!  You sound like me! 
We have a creek that runs in front of our house and neighbors backyard is on the other side of that creek... well while my fam was outside doing yardwork the teen boys were in that yard swearing up a storm (shouting aweful aweful things in a joking way).  My husband looks at me and says "should we bring Jax inside?" 
My response was "Mama will handle it!"  I hopped in the car, drove around and knocked on the door.  The teen boy who lived there was alone (no cars were there) and I said "My 4 year old son can hear everything your saying.  I wont tell your dad if it stops right now!" 
We didnt hear a peep from them again!  His Dad is a former sherriff and hard ass so I knew he didnt want me to tell his dad :)  Sometimes you just gotta handle that sh**! haha

Quoting Rae706:

Same way! I almost lost it in the grocery store the other day because this grown man kept cussing right behind me, dh, and ds3. Ds looked at me and said "mommy can I say shit, is that a bad word? He already knew, but still... I was like "dh take ds outside, I need to handle this!"

He said no lmbo

Randi
Wife to Ryan ~ Mama to Jax (4)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)