Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Tonsils and Adenoids! Help

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM
  • 10 Replies
My 18 month old DS is going to have his tonsils and adenoids removed tomorrow morning! Me being a first time mom and have never gone through something like this, I am very nervous, scared...all of the above! Any suggestions or anything on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Ds had his adenoids removed. he did fine. i asked them to add something to the anesthesia to lessen the nausea after he woke up, and that really helped. (when he got his tubes placed he puked everywhere.). idk about tonsils, but after dss surgery he sat around for the day and watched movies. he had soft foods, ice cream, jello, popsicles etc..but was fine within a couple of days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ccjennings
by Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

both my older boys had that done it is scary but it goes way fast.  my boys where done with surgery 10 minutes later.  they pretty much slept a lot after we got home for a couple of days.  the hardest part for us was trying to get them to understand they couldn't eat normal food for a while lol.... 

amy1763
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I did this with my first dd when she was 5. Its scary but trust me..they bounce back so much faster than you think. My lo was running all over the house that day about 2 hrs after we got home.

mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd had tubes put in and adenoids removed at the same time. They gave her something that made her fall asleep before they even took her back for surgery - so she wouldn't freak out. I sat in the waiting room and within the 1/2 hr they called me back to this tiny conference room. It was like how you see people visiting jail inmates on tv, LOL. The dr told me how it all went and such then I went back to the waiting room. Soon I could visit her in recovery. It was a large room with many patients. It was dark. I stood by her bed as she began to wake up.
I'm not gonna lie. Seeing that is scary. Her eyes were open but she wasn't there. It looked like she was dead!
But slowly she woke up. Then they sent us upstairs to the hospital where they could monitor her longer. She got Popcicles and had a tv. She was very happy! Then she rode in a wagon down to the front door and I took her home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Sorry, I have no experience with this but here is a bump.

Peytonsmommy310
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Ds was cranky for about a day after and he had yucky breath when it was healing. He only had adenoids removed though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds has been put under 3 times, never had that surgery, but it is hard to see them be put out. Prepare yourself for that! My son looked dead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimber2465
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

it doesn't take long at all. the will give him something to make him sleepy before he even gets to the or room. about half an hr. go home in about two hrs. just have to eat soft foods for a couple of days, jello, pudding, boiled eggs,noodles.ect.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Just hang in there mama.  You have to be strong for your little guy.  Realize that this surgery is so routine, so its very common and has great outcomes :).

As far as tonsils, I would def. stock up on some icecream and popcicles :).

ambrah_d
by on Jul. 26, 2012 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you Ladies!!!:-) I appreciate it! Lol...freezer is stocked with Popsicles and ice cream, fridge has plenty of juice and pudding and I have tons of mac and cheese and lots of pancake mix! After this diet, I don't know if I'll ever get my DS to eat healthy again...lol!:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)