Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Picky Eater

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
  • 7 Replies
My two year old won't eat much of anything.
She likes bananas, applesauce, bread, cooked peas and corn and cheese.
She also likes Mac & cheese, hot dogs, and fries.
Any tips on getting her to eat more. I have tried to hide fruits in pancakes & she picks them out.
She drinks lots of milk & will drink V8 fusion but in tired of this limited eating.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
CVislosky
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM

My son is like this too. The only thing that has worked for us, is actually having him help make breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. If he doesn't help us cook in some way, he won't eat it.

The other day, I had him help me make omlets. He hates eggs and everything I put into the omlet. As I had him count the eggs and as I was adding the veggies, he said how much he loved each veggie and he actually ate all of his omlet.

Nothing else has worked for us. Good luck!

January1964
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Don't worry, at least she IS eating. I think she'll grow out of this phase.  Just keep trying to introduce new foods. I read that it takes 15 tries to see whether a child likes a particular food.  Can you bribe her with something if she eats her meal, or is that not your style?

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 29, 2012 at 2:16 PM

my son is like this. I stopped fighting him. he gets to eat the same foods over and over while everyone else eats the good foods. as he's got oder he's became more willing to try new foods.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Just keep offering diffrent things to her. Maybe try yogurt, grapes, cereal as a snack, ect.

My 2 year old is pretty picky too and some stuff she refuses to eat unless it has salsa on it or hot suace or if she ha something to dip it in, or we have to make her take a few bite of it.  All my kids have gone through stages like this though. One thing that has helped me is growing some stuff in a small garden. My girls hate peas usually, but will eat tons of the ones picked out of the garden, same with carrots and tomatos

hwifeandmom
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Build on foods she already likes.  Since she likes bananas, try dipping bananas in yogurt or make mini kebabs using toothpick, alternating pieces of bananas and other fruit or cheese (my kids liked canned mandarin oranges).

Since she likes V8 fusion, make your own smoothies using fruit and vegetables.  You can hide a little bit of spinach in any fruit smoothie without being able to taste it (if you add too much you can taste it).  If you use part frozen fruit, it makes the smoothie thick like a milkshake.  You can also hide avocado in a milkshake. My kids' favorite smoothies are strawberry, banana, or canned peaches.

Since she likes pancakes, try french toast.  Once she likes french toast, try eggs with syrup (tastes like french toast).  Then try eggs without syrup.  It may take awhile, but she'll gradually learn to eat new foods.

If you want to hide fruit in foods, blend or puree them, so there are no chunks she can pick out (bananas or carrots are great in pancakes -- they blend up smoothly and make the pancake sweet).

My kids also liked zucchini-carrot muffins.  Use a zucchini or carrot cake recipe, use half carrot & half zucchini (grated very finely), use whole wheat and decrease the sugar.  Almost all the neighbor kids loved them, too.  They were a bread product, which my kids love, and they were sweet.

I accommodated my kids' pickiness because they had some sensory issues that made eating hard for them, but at the same time, I continued to offer new foods until they learned to be less picky.  They're still not perfect eaters, but they do a lot better than they used to.  When my kids got older, we began the "no thank you bite" of food.  They had to taste whatever we were eating, then if f they didn't like it, they could say "no thank you" and eat something else. It keeps them in the habit of trying new foods but still allows for their own taste and sensory preferences.

Kimedbs
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I cater somewhat to pickiness for breakfast and lunch as they are very casual laid back meals at our house.  For supper, I fix one meal and they can eat it or not, but I don't make an alternative. 

Some suggestions for adding in hidden foods into her current menu though are.....

Pancakes:  you can hide anything in pancakes the key is to use very fine purees (baby food serves this purpose if you don't have the time to make your own).  Some flavors I'd done are sweet potato, applesauce, any kind of berry, squash, etc)  You can come up with fun names to explain color changes, red pancakes= Elmo cakes, etc.

Grilled cheese sandwhiches, I hide finely chopped baby spinach in mine and just tell them it's spices.

Pureed cauliflower or squash can be hidden in mac and cheese.

Try sweet potato, green bean, and zucchini fries

Cut up hot dogs in place of meatballs on spagetti

Make your own breads (zucchini, banana, raisen, apple cinnamon, sweet potato, etc)

What ever you decide, I think the most important thing is to make it more of an adventure than a battle.  Don't make a big deal out of it or force her to eat anything.  Just offer as many fun varieties of good, healthy foods as you can, and praise her when ever she tries something new. 

Gweneveer
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:01 AM

She sounds just like my dd, only she wont drink milk or eat fruit either.  gahhhh.

My dr told me not to be too concerned.  To let her eat when she wants, and not force her when she doesnt want to.  This is extremely hard for me to accept, considering no one else in the house is like this including her older sister.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)