Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Pooping question

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Both of my kids, ages 4 and 2, have trouble going poop. They don't seem constipated, but they strain really bad when they do go. Once they go, its only one or two little pieces.

Any way to help them? They eat yogurt daily, and don't get a lot of milk.

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mypbandj
by Jen on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:23 PM

How much fiber do they get?

mommaaim12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Probably not as much as they should each day. I know when they are with the in-laws they get a lot, and still have this problem.

Quoting mypbandj:

How much fiber do they get?

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:40 PM
More fiber! I have had to give fiber bars on occasion when they whent through picky stages
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaaim12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Thankfully they aren't too picky about food. My mom suggested I give them Activia.

Quoting mommaFruFru:

More fiber! I have had to give fiber bars on occasion when they whent through picky stages

bpryce
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:38 PM

my son had this problem, hed cry when trying to poop and itd be just little balls. My pediatrician told me to give him one full glass of 100% juice every day, and not to water it down. every morning he gets a sippy cup of juice and after a few days of starting this his poops were normal and he didnt have to strain. if he misses a day or two of his juice or it isnt 100% hell revert back to the hard stools.

mommaaim12
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Ive talked to their peditrician, and he doesn't seem to think its a problem. I HATE seeing them strain like they are.

I will try the juice and see if that helps. Ive tried prune juice, with no luck

Quoting bpryce:

my son had this problem, hed cry when trying to poop and itd be just little balls. My pediatrician told me to give him one full glass of 100% juice every day, and not to water it down. every morning he gets a sippy cup of juice and after a few days of starting this his poops were normal and he didnt have to strain. if he misses a day or two of his juice or it isnt 100% hell revert back to the hard stools.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:18 PM

My kids both have this problem in the winter.  During the summer they get so much fresh fruit and berries they are good!  Try juice and if that doesn't work, call your pedi and ask about an appropriate dose of Miralax.  He doesn't have to think it's a problem to simply give you that info. 

Quoting mommaaim12:

Ive talked to their peditrician, and he doesn't seem to think its a problem. I HATE seeing them strain like they are.

I will try the juice and see if that helps. Ive tried prune juice, with no luck

Quoting bpryce:

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

deepee002
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Bananas and pure apple juice worked for my son....I hope this helps.  Good luck

hwifeandmom
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:10 PM

That drives me crazy when pediatricians act like chronic constipation is no big deal.  Grrrrr.  It *IS* a big deal. Hard bowel movements are painful, and painful bowel movements can lead to stool withholding (which makes the bowel problems worse).  It can lead to straining which leads to hemerrhoids, it can lead to potty training problems and probably other problems I'm not thinking of right now.

Some kids are just prone to more bowel problems than other kids.  Sometimes you can figure out why (digestive problems, food allergies, insufficient fluids, insufficient fiber, slow bowel motility, IBS, etc., etc), but much of the time you can't figure out why and just have to treat the symptoms.

Check the fiber content of foods you eat and try to select higher fiber versions, if possible.  Yogurt is good because of the probiotics which improve bowel health.  Activia yogurt has better probiotic content, but you could also just give your kids probioitic supplements instead of increasing their yogurt intake.  When my kids were little, I used Nature's Way Primodophilus powder, which I could mix into their food or drink.  You can also get chewables, if your children will eat them.  Check a natural foods health food store or check online.  For my kids, it took a couple of weeks before we saw much benefit from probioitics.  Because my kids' bowel problems are so severe, although we saw initial benefit from probioitics, it was insufficient on its own to help my kids maintain good bowel habits.

You can try using fiber gummies or stool-softening laxatives.  There are two basic types of laxatives:  stimulant and non-stimulant (stool-softening).  The stimulant ones have a bad reputation because the body can become dependent on them (they are often senna-based products, though there are other types).  Non-stimulant, stool-softening laxatives are not habit-forming (the body does not become dependent on them), so they are safe for long-term, daily use.  They help hold water in the stool to prevent it from getting as dry and difficult to eliminate.  Some good ones are Miralax, Benefiber, Milk of Magnesia, Fiber Choice, and Metamucil's new Clear-and-Natural in the BLUE bottle.  The new Metamucil in the blue bottle, Fiber Choice, and many fiber gummies have Inulin as an active ingredient and have worked well for my kids.  Inulin comes from chicory root.  You'll often see Inulin or chicory listed as an ingredient in products with added fiber (cereal, bread, etc).

If you still need to follow up with a doctor, you may want to look for a pediatric gastroenterologist (GI doc), tho' it took us a couple of GI docs before we found one who listened well and provided adequate treatment for my kids (two of my kids have significant bowel problems for which they have to take several stool-softening laxatives daily).

Quoting mommaaim12:

I will try the juice and see if that helps. Ive tried prune juice, with no luc

hwifeandmom
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Bananas are typically a constipating food, whch is why they're part of the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) recommended to stop diarrhea.  Apple juice has a laxative effect, but may not be enough for a child who has more significant bowel problems.

Quoting deepee002:

Bananas and pure apple juice worked for my son....I hope this helps.  Good luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)