Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Giving up the bottle

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok so my little boy just turned one the 25th of July and he still takes at least three bottles a day including one about 5 am. What to I do!?!? He also hasnt quite figured out chewing, he has TONS of teeth but he spits it out, not on purpose, it's like he is scared to swallow, or doesnt know how? HELP

by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
msjoecool
by Crissy on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Have you talked to your pedi about the chewing?  N had problems transitioning to baby food and ECI came to work with us on it.  I think it was a texture thing with her.

Are you trying to transition him off bottles, or are you unhappy with the schedule he's still on?  I took R's bottles away around nine months when she figured out how to spray.  Jessie was a tougher transition at ten months, but I just had to find the right sippy cup.  I introduced sippy cups to N at eight months.  Emily was eight or nine months when I got her transitioned to sippy cups, but I had to find the right one for her too.

Emily was my only baby who was difficult to get to sleep through the night without a feeding.  She's always been in about the fifth-percentile for weight, so I just fed her when she was hungry regardless of time.

Good luck, mama.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers  Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Cold turkey. When my DD turned 1 she was still taking 5 bottles a day. 2 days after she turnEd 1 I threw away all the bottles and she basically had no choice. She used to squirrel her food or not swallow. Even at 3 she still does it. By she survived and she is healthy.

I had therapists in my house for my DS so they always worked with dd as well in regards to food. At 2 I had her. Evaded, but she was fine...

Take them bottles away
bpryce
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:34 PM

i hope you've introduced a sippy cup by now, if not do it today and throw the bottles out tomorrow. my son is 14months and has been off the bottle since 9months(except bed time). at 12months we started watering his bed time bottle down and after one week it was strictly water.  He still takes it with him to bed but only takes a suck or two off of it, the bottle at bed time has become more of a comfort thing, similar to kids who need to sleep with a blanket or stuffed animal.

Tree-Tree
by on Jul. 29, 2012 at 8:40 PM
2 moms liked this
He is still really young I wouldn't worry too much. Just start transitioning and phasing them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:13 AM

I just dropped a bottle per week and switched to soft tipped sippy cups and maybe a cup during meals.

calvinsmommy18
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 2:23 AM

i took ds away cold turkey, but i didnt do it til about 15 months

AudMac
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Havent talked to the ped yet, his one year checkup is in a couple weeks. He is drinking out of sippy cups though. I read a lot of books like a crazy first time mom does, and the American Academy of Pediatricians recommends diluting it with water a little at a time until there is nothing but water, and its perfectly normal for them to be on a bottle unitl 18 mos. I don't think that'll work with G he's a pretty smart cookie:) Thanks for all you're input, keep um coming!!!

stephiebugg
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I did this with DD2, who loved the bottle. The only one she got was at bedtime when I started doing this. She had sippies all day long. I started out slow but ended up filling a bottle up with warm water, then put a splash of milk in (so that it didn't look like just water) It took me almost a full month to get to full water with splash of milk. Go slow, and he won't notice. 
After a couple weeks of that, I realized she wasn't even DRINKING the bottle in her crib, she was just holding it. When I checked on her after she was asleep, the bottle was full. She was just used to having it there. 
I took it away, and she didnt even care.  I still leave a sippy of water in her crib, sometimes she's snuggles up with it, just like she used to be with her bottle. 

Quoting AudMac:

Havent talked to the ped yet, his one year checkup is in a couple weeks. He is drinking out of sippy cups though. I read a lot of books like a crazy first time mom does, and the American Academy of Pediatricians recommends diluting it with water a little at a time until there is nothing but water, and its perfectly normal for them to be on a bottle unitl 18 mos. I don't think that'll work with G he's a pretty smart cookie:) Thanks for all you're input, keep um coming!!!

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I made sure to introduce sppy cups around 6-8 months, thenthrew away the bottles at 1

ambermario4ever
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 11:04 AM

you have to just take the bottle away do not let him have any more ever. sippy cups only from now on. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN