Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Trouble

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have the sweetest 2 1/2 year old boy but he can be pretty ornery at times (could be the fact he has an older brother,lol) and he's been on this telling me and his daddy to "shut up" kick. We can't get him to stop. It's so hard to get mad at him because he can be sensitive but I do when he says it. We've both spanked him but it doesn't phase him most the time. I've tried ignoring him or just saying "I love you" when he says it but he continues saying it. He even laughs. I don't know if I should just keep igorning him and not making a big deal out of it because I know that's usually best when a kid says something they shouldn't like a bad word but he doesn't let up! 

by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
STKsMomma
by on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep ignoring him!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
familyof5now
by Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM

We tell our boys that is a bad word and they go into time out when it is said.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Yep, keep ignoring him.  Kids tend to amp up at first to try even harder for a reaction but when you continue ignoring it, eventually he'll just give up.  It's no fun if he doesn't get attention for it.

MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:08 AM
1 mom liked this

1) stop using it

2) do not let the older child use it

3) remind him that only adults are allowed to use such words

4) remind him that it is naughty to say that to you

5) time out

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this

If my daughters start saying something like that I first try to think about if I have been saying it. And I make an effort to not say it around them. Then when they say it to me I tell them that they do not say [insert word or sentence] and that it isn't nice. Since something like "shut up" would probably be said with an attitude I would also tell them that they do not use that tone of voice and that they need to check their attitude. If they say it again or keep up with the attitude I tell them that they can either choose to continue and have a consequence (today at the beach I told my 4 year old that if she continued with her attitude she could sit on the blanket) or they can change their attitude and continue playing. I also talk to them about nice words and how mean words can hurt people, etc. My girls are 2 and 4 and they both know the difference between mean words and nice words and they hardly ever use mean words and when they do then usually as soon as I tell them to use nice words they start behaving again. I also let them know that I shouldn't be saying words like that either. In my opinion if I don't want my kids saying it then I shouldn't be saying it either. So if I say something that they aren't allowed to say then they're allowed to catch me on it and tell me to use nice words. For instance, "stupid" is not a good word in our house. But sometimes I'll be repeating to my husband what someone else said or something and my 4 year old will immediately tell me, "Mommy. Stupid is a garbage word. You don't say stupid." I like that they know that they can hold me accountable to my words and actions.

jakesmom323
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:41 AM
I would go Supernanny on his butt. I love her techniques ad really works for us with behavior.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhoelzer2988
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:22 AM

well I've been telling him I love him everytime he says it and I think it's starting to work.

devoesgirl
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this
He will wear it out soon. My son right now is saying fucken so I would take shut up any day. I think he gets it from older kids at pre school. Mine is the same age so I know what your going through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 12:47 PM

time outs, and explain to him its not nice to use and its not acceptable.

mhoelzer2988
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I have explained to him it's not nice over and over and over but he still keeps saying it . Hopefully it's just a stage he'll grow out of but for now I'll try to continue biting my tounge and ignoring him. It's just really embarassing when he says it around other people because I don't want them thinking I let my kids talk to me like that and then when they don't see me do anything about it (because I'm ignoring him) they really probably think I'm crazy! I am very big on my kids respecting other adults saying yes sir and yes mam, thank you and please so this is really starting to get to me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)