Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First time with an ear infection need any advice given

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM
  • 10 Replies

My poor baby has an ear infection in both ears. They gave him an antibiotic and drops for pain. Any suggestions on other things I can do? Thanks!!!!

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:43 PM
Tylenol for pain and fever and try to keep him happy. The more he cries, the more it will hurt. Mine liked to sleep upright when they had them.
My 2.5 yr old has one now and we're going to the ENT tomorrow. He has tubes in his ears already and we need to make sure it's not clogged.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:44 PM

the meds tend to kick in pretty quickly.  i'm not sure how old your child is or where he sleeps but if he's in the crib, put a folded blanket under the part of his mattress where his head is so it's elevated.  if he's in a bed a pillow should help (or maybe a blanket under that as well). 

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

AudMac
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:46 PM

He just turned one the 25th and I acutally have a wedge from when he was younger he had TERRIBLE acid reflux. Thanks:)

arkansasmama08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and you may want to give him yogurt since he's in antibiotics. It'll help keep his tummy from getting upset.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AudMac
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Aw bless him, it's so sad when they're sick and we can't make it better. I nearly cried when they told me he had an ear infection:(toddler tantrum

erinsmom1964
by Carrie on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM
Quoting arkansasmama08:

Oh, and you may want to give him yogurt since he's in antibiotics. It'll help keep his tummy from getting upset.

Yougurt many times isnt enough to keep the balance in the gut especially if you use regular yogurt. My DD had to be hospitalized after sn antibiotic actually killed off all the good flora in her gut. Look into probiotics. Many many more good bacteria than you will ever get in a yogurt even greek. We use Culturelle for kids...you can get it anywhere but I find walmarts is cheapest. It has not taste no texture so its easy to get in them
AudMac
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Wow thanks, I'll go get some of that. They told me to give it to him with yogurt so he won't produce too much yeast?

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Yeah, I agree with erinsmom.  We buy a probiotic and put it in yogurt to help counter-balance the antibiotic and prevent diarrhea.  the yogurt just didn't do enough.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM
We thankfully have never had ear infections here yet. Hope your lo is feeling better soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

We had great success with Florastor kids when my son was having tummy problems induced by prednisone.  Got i @ Target for $20.  It's behind the counter.  Only took a ew days to get everything balanced out. 

Advil Suspension is great for fevers and pain.  It works faster and longer than Tylenol.  The bottle says for 2+, but our ped recommended when my son was 10 months old and spiking a fever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)