Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He wont eat the yogurt!

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM
  • 6 Replies

So when they decided that lil G had ear ifections the other day they put him on an antibiotic and told me to give him some good yogurt with it. Well the little fella is too smart for his own good, the first time he ate the yogurt took the med no problem, but now he absolutely refuses to eat the yogurt, and we have to hold him down to give him the med, which I HATE doing.... I talked to the pharmacist last night and they said he would be OK without the yogurt it just keeps them from getting an upset stomach. I'll be glad when this nightmare is over, he is so pitiful bad

by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kimedbs
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

What about pudding or ice cream?  I'm not big on pushing sweets, but would rather give a bite or two than fight over medicine. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Just fyi...... An antibiotic can be taken with any type of food, and typically the reason for the yogurt is due to the probiotics that are in some yogurts. The probiotics help protect the body against the antibiotic, since it wipes out the good bacteria along with the bad, which in turn, can cause yeast infections(yes, even in boys). The probiotics helps replenish any lost bacteria, but you don't have to get it from yogurt. You can buy probiotics, but make sure you get the live probiotics.

hwifeandmom
by on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

You typically don't give an antibiotic and pro-biotic (in the yogurt) at the same time because they cancel each other out.  Generally you're advised to wait at least 2-3 hours before giving the probiotics.  If your son doesn't like yogurt, you can try feezing the yogurt to make it more like ice cream, or you can just give probiotic supplements.  You can get chewables or powder which can be hidden in food or drink.  Try a natural foods type health food store.  You can order online, too, but that may take too long to get to you.  

My son was very hard to get antibiotics into.  When I asked the doctor what I was supposed to do, he said "give him M&M's."  At first I thought that was ridiculous 'cus M&M's wouldn't make my son cooperate.  Then I realized that I just had to force the medicine into my son (hold him down, hold his arms and head -- he was a difficult little bugger), then give him the candy to reduce the trauma.  The candy also eliminates the foul medicine taste.  It eventually got to the point that my son would fake illness in the hopes of getting candy.  He still didn't like medicine but he got to the point that he would cooperate if it meant he got candy.

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:30 PM
You can buy probiotics that you can sprinkle/mix with food. We've used florastorkids (sp?) with good results. We've played a ZAP game with my ds since he was about 12 months old. Puny the med in a med spoon and say, mommy's going to zap you...zap, zap, zap. He drinks from the spoon. If it's yucky, I tell him before hand that we'll wash it down with juice.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

take a probiotic capsule, open it up and dissolve the powder in milk or water.  my son was on an antibiotic for pneumonia last year and the diarrhea kicked in around day 8 (it was a 10 day Rx) and it was terrible.  the next time we did it with a probiotic and no diarrhea at all.  we just bought the generic Walgreens brand but my kids are older.  ask the pharmacist. 

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
I get my sons meds flavored at cvs worth the couple extra $$ he fights less.
Maybe have him help pick out yogurt. You can also buy probiotics in a powder form and add it to something he will eat
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)