Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My toddler will not swallow/chew food *help

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
  • 4 Replies

My son is 21 months old(he will be 2 in October).

He will stuff his mouth with food and let it sit there. I tell him to swallow/chew it and he just smiles and does not.

Like right now, for dinner I gave him chicken nuggets, and he shoves the WHOLE thing in his mouth and just lets it SIT there! Eventually I make him spit in out and I put the remnents in the trash...

What gives? Why is he doing this? He has all of his teeth already!

I've also tried cutting them up and giving him pieces but he HOARDS the pieces in his mouth too!!!

HELP!

proprolife.gif picture by piink-lem0nade

Happily married Mama to one angelbaby, a son born 10-19-10, and a daughter born 3-20-12

by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Kimedbs
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Some kids just do this.  I have a chipmunk myself (always packing his jaws full).  We just try to pull his plate way when he gets a bite so that he has to eat and swallow in order to get his hands on more.  So, provided that you're positive that there isn't an issue like a sore throat that's keeping him from swallowing, you'll just have to try and limit how much he can get his hands (or mouth) on until he gets over this phase.

MommaBoop922
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:24 PM

My dd started doing this randomly a few months agod (around the same age) and it seemed to be just a phase.  We started giving her smaller pieces and went back to feeding her certain meals just to ensure she didnt choke.  It was tough because some days she would really fight us because she wanted to feed herself but she got it one piece at a time like the pp said and when she swallowed that one she got the next.  I also stuck to snacks that were more on the mushy end again or small like yogurt cheerios and even some of those little squeeze fruits and veggies like applesauce.  It lasted a few weeks and once we stopped making a fuss about it she stopped.  I think they just find it fun and amusing :)  GL! 

LuvmyBabiesx101
by on Aug. 3, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It is probably just a phase he is going through. I would just give him one piece at a time and make him chew the peice before giving him another one. That way he doesn't choke. Most of my friends with through this with their children around that age and they grew out of it so hopefully it is just a phase for your son!

stephie06
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:03 AM
DD does the same thing. She is 26 months. I just cut her food up into small pieces. I let her feed herself still but when she starts to shove food in her move i pull the plate away and let her know that this is not how we eat and if she wants more she has to chew it up and swallow. I have to do the same thing with ketchup(well any dipping sauce for that matter). She just dips and licks. Lol. I have to take the ketchup away and she doesnt get any more until she takes a bit.

Quoting Kimedbs:

Some kids just do this.  I have a chipmunk myself (always packing his jaws full).  We just try to pull his plate way when he gets a bite so that he has to eat and swallow in order to get his hands on more.  So, provided that you're positive that there isn't an issue like a sore throat that's keeping him from swallowing, you'll just have to try and limit how much he can get his hands (or mouth) on until he gets over this phase.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN