Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Only boy in his kindergarten class :(

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM
  • 36 Replies

Today I found out that my son will be the ONLY boy in his Kindergarten class. He attends a really small Lutheran school there's only 52 students in the whole school K-8. There will be 7 girls in the class, I'm not sure how I feel about  him to the only boy, my husband seems to think it's OK. what do u think ladies??

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JaronDMC
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Aww poor guy. Does he get along with girls? My son was in a preschool class of 24 students and only 7 boys. But he gets along well with girls because his best friend is a girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
staffordmommy
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
2 moms liked this
Ladies man ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it the only kindergarten class in the school?If not,I'd see about having him switched.Surely he's not the only kindergarten aged boy in the school!

ashleywagoner
by Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 12:37 AM
I would definitely go see if I could move him to a different room. Talk to the principal and be kind but firm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LITTLEGREG
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Yes, It's the only Kindergarten class in the school :(

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Does he have other male playmates like friends or cousins?  I don't think it's a huge issue.  Are there other school options if it were to really bother you?

LITTLEGREG
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM

He does not have any boy cousins, only a little sister lol,but he does have boys that he play with but they all go to public school.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Speaking as a mom with a K age son, you know boys just play differently with each other than they do with girls.  when they are 2 or 3 it's not an issue but eventually they just want to do "boy" things sometimes.  i see your concern but if he has other male friends that he gets social time with, i think he'll be fine.  I think it's important for him to have that exposure but it doesn't necessarily have to be at school.    Make a point to get those regular play dates in and/or enroll him in a "boy" type acitivity.

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

LITTLEGREG
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Thanks for the advice :) I agree he does need that boy time :D

corrinacs
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:57 AM

He will most likely be fine.  THe best suggestion I can think of is see if there are any meetup groups near you where you can have your child meet up with some guy friends his age.  He will probably be fine from spending so much time with girls, but he may need some "guy time" too :) :).  I presume that's the only K class?  If not, check out the other one and see if he can swtich.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN