Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: when how to take paciy from 2yrold

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
  • 27 Replies

when & how to take paciy from 2yrold

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diamondsetter
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I took my DD's bink when she turned 2. We tried the "Binkie Fairy", pretending to give them to less fortunate kids, you name it but nothing worked. Finally I just waited until she was asleep one night and went all over the house and gathered up all of the binks, cut all the nipples off with scissors and when she asked for one, I handed her one with no nipple and told her they were all broke. She never asked again :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbbaNbabygirl
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM
2 moms liked this
just throw them in the garbage :) it might take a couple days, but he'll get over it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbbaNbabygirl
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
my sons 'broke' too :)

Quoting diamondsetter:

I took my DD's bink when she turned 2. We tried the "Binkie Fairy", pretending to give them to less fortunate kids, you name it but nothing worked. Finally I just waited until she was asleep one night and went all over the house and gathered up all of the binks, cut all the nipples off with scissors and when she asked for one, I handed her one with no nipple and told her they were all broke. She never asked again :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:17 PM

We didn't take my son's until he was 3.  It isn't until after 3 that you have to worry about dental issues.  My DD was born when my son was 2 years and almost 8 months and my dentist said leave the binkie for now.  He was sleeping in until after 9am and napping for 3 hours a day and with the new baby my dentist said it would be okay and my sanity was more important (my son only slept with it, no walking aroud binkies after about 18 months). 

So, we decided his 3rd birthday would be the day.  We prepared him for about a month before and then on his birthday night he threw them away.  That first night he woke up a few times looking for it but we were able to easily soothe him back to sleep.  The next day he got a special Big Boy present and that night he slept perfectly!  His naps suffered for about a month but those eventually got back on track as well.  He's over 5 1/2 now and still naps most days!!!

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I took mine from my son at 2 1/2. We told him a story about the "paci fairy" who comes in the night to take pacifier's from BIG boys and take them to babies who need them, and leaves behind awesome presents. My son loved the story, much like the whole easter bunny/santa clause stories. He collected all his pacifiers and assisted us in searching out all the possible "hidden" ones in the house (because they won't come if some are missing...). We put them in a baggy by the door before he went to bed. He whined a little before bed, but when reminded about the presents. He stopped and was excited. Slept like a rock but woke up early like christmas.... :o) 

What I did to make the story "magical" is after he was asleep I took the pacifier bag out to the garbage can outside (trash day was in the morning so no going back). And made little baby powder foot prints coming from the front door to his few presents we got him. (his favorite toy Thomas trains for his train set). Foot prints are easy to make just take baby powder apply liberally to flip flops and press on carpet. :o) It vaccums right up and looks pretty cool. 

He did ask for a few nights after his presents about his pacifiers, but we'd remind him the fairy took them and we didn't have any. We'd remind him about his cool presents, and he was fine. 

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Don't snip it and pretend to go find it for them.  Tried that with my son one night and got it launched at me.

Quoting diamondsetter:

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:41 PM

How long did you tell the story before the paci fairy actually came? 

Quoting Nicholy10:

I took mine from my son at 2 1/2. We told him a story about the "paci fairy" who comes in the night to take pacifier's from BIG boys and take them to babies who need them, and leaves behind awesome presents. My son loved the story, much like the whole easter bunny/santa clause stories. He collected all his pacifiers and assisted us in searching out all the possible "hidden" ones in the house (because they won't come if some are missing...). We put them in a baggy by the door before he went to bed. He whined a little before bed, but when reminded about the presents. He stopped and was excited. Slept like a rock but woke up early like christmas.... :o) 

What I did to make the story "magical" is after he was asleep I took the pacifier bag out to the garbage can outside (trash day was in the morning so no going back). And made little baby powder foot prints coming from the front door to his few presents we got him. (his favorite toy Thomas trains for his train set). Foot prints are easy to make just take baby powder apply liberally to flip flops and press on carpet. :o) It vaccums right up and looks pretty cool. 

He did ask for a few nights after his presents about his pacifiers, but we'd remind him the fairy took them and we didn't have any. We'd remind him about his cool presents, and he was fine. 

Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

We started first thing when he woke up in the morning, and talked about it on and off all day long. (DOZENS of times). Kinda like you do on Christmas Eve and the night before Easter. Then that night the fairy came. I figured to tell him sooner would either stress him out or confuse him. 

Quoting iansmommy9:

How long did you tell the story before the paci fairy actually came? 

Quoting Nicholy10:

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

1) throw them ALL away and be ready to spend the next week giving extra cuddles and loves.

2) leave them out for the binki fairy to take and get a COOL gift in exchange. Be prepared to spend the next week giving extra cuddles and loves.

3) have your child wrap them all up and give them to someone you know who "needs" them for their new baby. be prepared to spend the next week giving extra cuddles and loves.(note: never ever make the child give the new pacifier to their new baby brother or sister - unless you want to start their relationship off w/ jealousy and resentment).

4) slit the nipples with scissors or cut off the tips. Act surprised when your child discovers they are broken. Be prerapared for your child to either a) not care or b) care - you will be giving extra cuddles and loves.

5) start to limit the times and or places where the pacifier can be used. Like, ONLY at night. Or ONLY in the bedroom. So your child can stay in the bedroom all day and suck on the pacifier but all the fun stuff will be happening somewhere else - let it be all their decision and choice. Don't force them to leave the room and the pacifier. It has to be their choice.

ONE MORE TIP: sucking a binky is calming and helps your child to organize and self sooth. All of us probably still use our mouths to do similar things. You can see this as you watch adults do things like overeat, chew on the end of pens, bite their nails, etc. So it's pretty normal. Your child is going to have to REPLACE that need they are getting from the pacifier w/ something else. So  make sure you start one of these things during a week or two when nothing else is happening. No big changes in the family (new jobs, new day cares, new baby, moving, etc). And like I said, just be prepared to give extra cuddles and loves.

ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM
My son had a binky until around 2. One day I just threw it away without him knowing. When he would ask about it I would say I couldnt find it and it was lost. His teeth have been affected. IMO take it away now..the sooner the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)