Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: when how to take paciy from 2yrold

Posted by   + Show Post

when & how to take paciy from 2yrold

by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Replies (21-27):
gina6239
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM

At 2 I made it for strictly bedtime only. She could not have it at all during the day. When she got closer to the age of 3, I told her it was time to give it up because she was a big girl, but that she could pick out a new big girl toy. We picked a day, went to target and got a rapunzel barbie. We threw the nuks out that same day. She cried a little at bedtime, but I reminded her that she is a big girl and has big girl things now. She had trouble sleeping for only one night. 

Good luck mama. It's not an easy one, but they adjust quickly!

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I took it away at...I think it was 10 months. May have been 11 months though. Anyways, I just told her she was too big for a paci and she willingly gave them to me. I also know a lot of ladies that had success with the cutting the nipple part so that they don't like them anymore. I knew one mom who took her daughter out to the river and said that the binky fairy wanted her to give her binkies to the baby fish and they threw them in the river but I'm not sure how good that is for the fish or the environment...

CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Should have done it a year ago... But since you allowed them to keep it, it's going to suck to take it away. Stop giving it to your child for naps. Just take it away. Deal with the crying and whining. Once they adjust to sleeping without it, move to night time. Once again--just take it away. It may take a few nights, but allow your child time to adjust.
Katt709
by Member on Aug. 6, 2012 at 9:58 PM
I took my son's away on his 3rd bday. Just took it away. Said pacis are for babies and you're a big boy now. He asked for it and occassionally stole his baby brothers. But for the most part, no problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Aug. 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I took my dd's binky away during awake hours at 12 mos.  I allowed her to have it at nap and bedtime.  It really was a comfort for her, and I didnt see the issue with it.  She kept it until she was 3.  By that point, I was able to reason with her and she let it go pretty easy.  Good luck with whatever you decide!

HarrisonMD
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:00 PM

I guess I must be the mean Mommy then...I didn't make any big production out it...DD quit sucking on them and started playing with them at around 5 to 6 months...threw them all out and never looked back.  We didn't have an issue and I didn't make it into one.  IMHO....the kids that keep sucking on the binkies past a "proper" age (whatever that may be) are the kids who are stressed out and need something to soothe themselves with.  At the moment DS who is 3 months right now, is doing the same thing as big sister...he hardly takes the binky, only at night when wakes himself up and even then it's for a few seconds, spits it out, back to sleep.  Both kids are happy, healthy and content...and I think that has something to do with it....Just saying. No bashing please...just throwing that out there.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I find it easier and less *barbaric* to just do it and be done with it. Both of my kids were two and after a couple of days, they were over it. No big production, no gifts, no nothing. I also never did the whole *Pacis are for babies and you are a big kid* act. I find that rather silly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)