Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my 2 yr old wont talk ! ! !

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM
  • 31 Replies
My ds is 2 . He won't talk at all !!! The only thing he does is grunt and point to get what he wants or to let you know he's happy or mad . I've had ppl come out to evaluate him but I wasn't happy with the program . Sometimes we think he just doesn't want to talk . Does anyone have any suggestions ?
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyLehr
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Try making him talk. Like if he wants milk, male him say milk or he doesnt get any. Make sure you repeat it several times and make him watch your lips while you say it.. That's what's we do with our 2 year old who isn't taking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Creaelf
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

MommyLehr has a good idea - my husband and I are doing the same thing with our 29 month old who has a speech delay due to his prematurity.  Your son may not respond to this immediately, but it does at least get the words and their sounds into his brain.  He may only make the sound of the first letter for a while, but even then he is trying to communicate with you beyond the pointing and grunting.

mariesmama
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

no i dont our speech people haventt helped much  but shes 3 at the end of the month its taken her this long to start talking

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Your child is delayed - I'm sorry you didn't like the program that came out to evaluate him. Would you consider doing private? Before age three, the brain is growing SO fast that kids benefit SO much from early intervention.

Google "parallel talk" and "self talk" for ideas of how to help you child.

You may also consider teaching him sign language. He is going to get very frustrated if he doesn't have a way to get his point across.

NikkiAtkinson
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Well... When my oldest was two, he didn't say much. At 4, he talks up a storm. No dr help or speech anything. He just wasn't ready to talk yet.. I just kept talking to him and asking him questions and telling him what things were.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinity
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

my son is 1 &1/2.... he doesnt talk either... he does the same as yours... he will just fuss until u guess what he wants or if you are holding something he wants he screams for it and grunts .......i mean he might say mom dad or a couple other words like yayyyy (when he does something good we say yaya and clap, he does it alot) but he doesnt reallly talk... the dr said at his 18 motnh check  up that its still pretty normal b/c alot of boys dont talk until after 2.... he also said can he understand you... and that... yes he does understand alot... if i say time to eat he comes runnin to his high chair, if i say bed time... he runs away from his room lol, if i say do you want milk, he comes to the fridge, if i say nose he points to that or lips he points to them, if i tell him to let me see something he will hand it to me, if i say do you want to go outside he goes to the door, if i say do you have to potty he shakes his head (he is not potty trained, i just have the potty in the living room and i let him sit on it so he's not afraid of it... and from time to time during the day i take his diaper off and have him pop a squat for a few mins )

Does your son understand what you say to him? if he does, then there prolly isnt anything wrong...

my dr said pretty much all i can do for now is keep reading to him and talking to him...

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I would call your early intervention and get him an appointment.  It sounds like there is a serious speech/language delay and early intervention will be key.

What about the previous program did you not like?

Kris_PBG
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Just a thought - if the part you were unhappy with was the individuals you dealt with at intake - those are not typically the people who do the actual therapy.

2bkayleesmommy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
My sister didn't talk till she was 4yrs old. Just gonna throw that out her. And she's VERY SMART! She just didn't talk!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krystyneh
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM
I dont want to scare u but have u had him screened for autism? My friend's nephew was like that at age 2 and he's autistic and he will be 6 in November and is just now saying dada mama and one other word...he could just be delayed but he should be at least saying mama and dada at least
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN