Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Speech delay

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do any of your LOs have a speech delay?

My son had his 15 month check up today. 

She diagnosed him with delayed speech but we aren't doing anything about it yet. She says because he started walking 2.5 weeks ago and picked up saying mama and dada at the same time, that she agrees with me he might just be starting to bloom. So she wants to give him a chance to see if over the next three months he continues to bloom. If he has little to no progress, he will be starting speech therapy at 18 months. She asked if I wanted to start it now since he is delayed, but I said no, that I also wanted to give him a chance to hopefully continue to bloom in his development since he just started some new things. She said if and when he does speech therapy, he probably won't need it for long since it would be to just give him a boost to START talking. The fact that he doesn't babble when he's walking around or playing with toys or as a way to try to communicate is the issue, since he has no interest at all in speaking, even if it's toddler gibberish lol.

Based on a pediatric screening, he ranks 20% in speech. So he's not like ALL the way behind, but he is also nowhere near where he should be lol. I have confidence that he will continue to bloom. He has already done so many new things in these last 2.5 weeks that I think he was just content where he was until now. :) Now he wants to learn it seems.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

my lil girl is  speech delayed she just had a language explosion last month shes 3 this month

mypbandj
by Jen on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:46 PM

crossing my fingers that he just takes off here in the nest few months!!

aj23
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

My son has been slow to do everything and when he was smaller he was shy and didn't like to be around anyone he didn't know. He didn't even try to talk beyond saying mama and dada until he was 2.  Because he refused to even try to say anything when the dr was around she just kept saying wait and see but then this summer (after a year of prek) he started talking to any and everyone and now that he will talk to her she says he has a delay. He hasn't been tested yet to see how bad it is, she wants to wait a few months into Kindergarten to do a bunch of tests to see how far behind he is. Preschool helped a ton so we're waiting to see if kindergarten helps too. He talks more like a 3-4 year old than a 5 year old so the delay isn't horrible but it's bad enough to need help.
  She also keeps making comments on his size and acts like she's never seen a smaller than average child before so I don't know what the deal is with her.
I really don't like the way she does things but she is the only doctor in town that takes his insurance and the next closest dr that will take a new patient is over a hour and a half away.

I just recently learned that fine motor delays and speech delays are often connected. I really wish i would have known that early since he has issues with both.

aschwarz06
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Dd was in seech therapy for 2.5 years and ds2 is in it now. He's 3 and and has the vocabulary of a 14-15 month old. He's come a long way since diagnosis. If you are concerned have the school system evaluate her and they will do therapy for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I want to hold off for the three months and re-evaluate that our pediatrician is suggesting.  He *is* delayed right now but because he just started new developments over the last several weeks, we are waiting to see if it continues before diving into speech therapy.

Quoting aschwarz06:

Dd was in seech therapy for 2.5 years and ds2 is in it now. He's 3 and and has the vocabulary of a 14-15 month old. He's come a long way since diagnosis. If you are concerned have the school system evaluate her and they will do therapy for it.

MamaSulli2005
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

DS2 is speech delayed, not even delayed as he's been speaking for a long time you just can't understand him. We thought he'd get over it and hasn't so this year he's going to be in speech therapy through the public schools. He just doesn't finish his words and does what the lady calls assimilation, so if it starts with a sound it ends with a similar sound, ie "yellow" is "yeyo" to him, and so on. He'll be 4 in November so I'm a little bit upset I didn't do something earlier than this but it's better than going to kindergarten and nobody ever understanding him.

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes both my boy are. We choose to let them learn on their curve, and dont seek assistance till age 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Hey mama
And perhaps the ped is right. Leo has done that to us a lot lately. We were worried that he wasnt eating and now today he ate some puffs :). Just give the guy some time. Sometimes when working on one skill others take the backburner.
iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM

I think you're right for waiting.  There's so much happening at this age that he could easily cathc up.  My ds was off the charts with physical development (walking a few days after he turned 9 months, running early, you name it) but when it comes to speech he would barely hit the milestones.  I think a lot of it had to do with me not using baby talk with him.  He's 23 months old and has been using pronouns appropriately for a few months and can put together good 3 and 4 (sometimes even larger) sentences. 

Everybody bashed me for using sentences and real words with him, but I figured I would set a good example for how you should speak and he'd eventually catch on. 

I would have waited too.

amy1763
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I would wait also to see what happens. M dd2 never talked alot until she was near 3 yrs old! I know right? Hardly even a word, maybe mama and dada. Pedi never said a single word to us about her being behind and then the words just started flowing. I feel like she was behind but you cant even tell now. She will be 4 in October.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)