Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Advice Needed: Normal sexual curiosity??

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ok, I need help! This has never happened with my son before. My son is an outgoing, amazing, humorous 5 year old! However, the other day he was playing with his girl friends naked Barbie doll, and then asked her to see her boobs and butt.... OMG!!! Is this normal curiosity? Or should I be worried? Please help!! So confused! :(
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

nope, i wouldn't be worried.   my son is a HUGE boob man and when he was about 4 he started getting really curious.  he was staring at boobs all the time and when i asked him why his response was "i don't know, they just interest me"!  very matter of factly.  my son totally does stuff like that and he's 5 1/2 now.  remember it's not sexual to them.  they don't have that reference at 5, it's just curiosity.

Mama_Gleich
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM
This was the first thing that he has ever ever ever done like that before. And when I asked him why he asked his friend that he said, he wanted to see if they looked the same like the Barbie... I just did not know if it is something that deserves a psychologist evaluation... Thank you though for the insight!!
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 7:48 PM

i would be more concerned if the play involved touching or language that is clearly sexual because then you know he's heard and/or seen something a 5 year old shouldn't be exposed to which could still be totally innocent but you would want to ask more questions to make sure.  his answer is very logical and exactly what my son would say.

Gweneveer
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Totally normal, I wouldnt worry about it!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Aug. 8, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Bump!

calvinsmommy18
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

it may be normal curiousity but i think you just need to explain to him that he cant ask a girl to see those parts.

Mama_Gleich
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea, I had that talk with him after I found out what happened. I explained that those are private areas and we never ask to see those areas, and we never show people those parts. He understands now.. And the more I think about it the more I know it was curiosity considering he was playing with a naked Barbie doll. Thanks all for the input. I feel better as a parent. Thanks for the support.
bhwrn1
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Normal curiosity. Don't worry about it.

RobynS
by Robyn on Aug. 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

normal curiosity!!

miss_AP
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think its normal and age-appropirate. My girls are 3.5 and 6 and have a facination with boobies and nipples right about now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN