Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it just me...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM
  • 44 Replies
...or am I the only one who is tired of seeing toddlers with "beer" guts or two chins or thunder thighs? Don't parents realize that chubby is NOT healthy, even if it can be cute?

If a child is 50% in height they should be 50% in weight.....not 95% in weight. Easy peasy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gweneveer
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM
4 moms liked this
Wow.....my first dd was a CHUNKY baby and toddler and she is now 5 and is perfect! My second is a peanut!!!

Judgemental much?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

yeah, i do understand what you are saying but i would point out that you aren't talking 95%, you are talking WAY off the charts.  my son was a chubby baby until he was 2.  he was 40% height and off the charts in weight.  you could have easily judged him and me for being a neglectful mother when the fact was, he was active and ate fine, it's just his body.  he totally slimmed down after about 2 1/2 and thankfully his height jumped to about 60% and his weight came down to about 80%.  if you saw him you would think he was 50% but if he tried to tackle you, you would see the 80% because he's just SOLID.

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

stephiebugg
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM
3 moms liked this

LOL 
My DD1 was always tallish for her age and average for weight.
My DD2 was almost deemed "Failure to thrive" because she stayed at 11lbs for her 4th, 5th and 6th month. Then when she turned 12 months the doc said she was too chubby.  She's short and a little chubby now at 2 and a half, but by no means fat. 

I have seen some really chubby toddlers, I saw one at the mall the other day and instead of thinking "wow, what a fatty, her parents are to blame" I wondered what medical condition might predispose her to being overweight. 
Things aren't always what they seem, and it's unfair to jump to the conclusion that a child is overweight because they live on cheesy puffs and chocolate milk. Yes, parents MAY be the reason kids are overweight, but it's pretty ignorant to blame them when you dont know the whole story. 

iansmommy9
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:42 PM

As long as they are eating healthy foods, I don't see the problem.  In my opinion, toddlers need a little fat reserve to compensate for when they refuse to eat. 

I do have one question.  Is my child too thin because he's in the 97th percentile in height and 85th percentile in weight? No two children have the same growth or eating patterns. 

BramblePatch
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I saw a 4 year old today (that I know to be healthy) with a beer gut. It was sad....she looked pregnanf.

Quoting stephiebugg:

LOL 
My DD1 was always tallish for her age and average for weight.
My DD2 was almost deemed "Failure to thrive" because she stayed at 11lbs for her 4th, 5th and 6th month. Then when she turned 12 months the doc said she was too chubby.  She's short and a little chubby now at 2 and a half, but by no means fat. 

I have seen some really chubby toddlers, I saw one at the mall the other day and instead of thinking "wow, what a fatty, her parents are to blame" I wondered what medical condition might predispose her to being overweight. 
Things aren't always what they seem, and it's unfair to jump to the conclusion that a child is overweight because they live on cheesy puffs and chocolate milk. Yes, parents MAY be the reason kids are overweight, but it's pretty ignorant to blame them when you dont know the whole story. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

im not a fan of chubby babies,. mine are all 75% height and under 20% for weight

as long as babys not obese idk what parents do. i just dont think chubby babies are soo cute like lots of ppl

echupko
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Wow...

My first child was ebf and huge! He was 34lbs and 34in at 12m. And now his is 4 1/2 ft And skinny skinny and he just turned 7! But he was chubby toddler. I am a fitness instructor and we eat very very healthy!

My youngest also ebf was only 16lbs at 12m.

Anyway my point is, babies come in all shapes and sizes and it's not always the parents "fault" they have a chubby little one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kamrynlily07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Toddlers tend to be chubby. Both of my kids were chubby (EBF!) babies, then thinned out as toddlers, and my 5 year old is average/petite. It's also typical of babies & toddlers to have round "potbellies".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM

i think there is a difference in chunky and overweight. you don't know the family so i wouldn't judge, unless you know them and know that the child doesn't eat well or play much...

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I see nothing wtrong wit a little belly, my daughter has a bit of a belly and is 90-95% for both height and weight. Both my girls are.

There is a diffrence between alittle chubby and an over weight child. If the child eats healthy, exersices, and all that I would not worry to much for a child being a little chubby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)