Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Are you one of THOSE Moms

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
  • 82 Replies

Are you one of those moms who signs her toddler up for dance or swiming or music lessons and when the child screams and doesn't want to be there you leave them in the room anyway?  Please explain to me your thought process.  Everytime I take Erin to a new class there is one of those types of Moms.  Kid is screaming and miserable disrupting the class and the mom seems to think forcing the child is best for the child.  WHY?

by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PEEK05
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:16 PM

No, but my daughter doesn't act like that when something new comes along.

Bookoholic
by Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM
I only do it if I am the reason he is screaming. If he is screaming becuase he doesn't want to do it, we will leave. But he usually has a problem with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaXRandi
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I am not one of those moms, but... I can see the point because I know my son has asked to do something then changed his mind back.  So possibly the kid wanted to do it then changed his mind and the mom is trying to teach the child that you don't just give up on things.
Now if my child was disruptive to the otrhers I wouldn't keep him in the class, but would try to teach him that he cant just change his mind because Mama paid for it when he wanted to do it, next time he should think harder about what he is asking for. 
Just hypothetical, cause I only put my son in stuff I know he really enjoys and wants. 

erinsmom1964
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM
Quoting MamaXRandi:

I am not one of those moms, but... I can see the point because I know my son has asked to do something then changed his mind back.  So possibly the kid wanted to do it then changed his mind and the mom is trying to teach the child that you don't just give up on things.Now if my child was disruptive to the otrhers I wouldn't keep him in the class, but would try to teach him that he cant just change his mind because Mama paid for it when he wanted to do it, next time he should think harder about what he is asking for.  Just hypothetical, cause I only put my son in stuff I know he really enjoys and wants. 

I get what your saying but we are talking about small children. Erin is 3. She doesnt ask for classes I choose what I think she will enjoy. But I dont get teaching your child a lesson at the expense of others. This was a hip-hop class ages3-9. This child was maybe five and screamed Mommy no!!!!!!! Before she even left the room. Once outside the class the child kept screaming Mommy at the top of her lungs. This went on for a long 5 minutes. The other mothers seemed to understand her doing it to her child and the poor teacher. They seemed to think it was ok for the 40 minute class to waste this time.

Erin had a child in her ballet class that did that every single week. In and out of class the teacher having to start and stop over and over.

I dont understand how those Moms think its ok to do to their child....my child....and the teacher.
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM
3 moms liked this

My kids aren't THOSE kids, for the most part.  My DD just did her first swim lesson without me in the pool with her.  She cried for the whole entire first class so, yes, in that case I was one of THOSE moms.  Taking her out of the pool wasn't going to teach her anything and by day 2 she was happy as a clam.  She's just a control freak.  She's not scared of the water at all.  She's part fish, she just wasn't sure what to make of it without me but she adjusted.  If I knew she was scared of the water I would have taken another approach.  I just handle each situation as it comes but that's the 1 and only time my kids have ever done that to that extent.  The whole pool heard her screaming and I asked the front desk if I should get her so as to not disrupt things and they left it up to me but said they deal with that all the time in the preschool classes.  I want my DD to learn water safety so I wasn't going to remove her from the class UNLESS she did it everyday for the first week, which she didn't.  Taking her out after 10 mins wasn't the answer so I made the decision I thought was best for MY child.  I'm sure there were people like you judging me but I don't care.  Handle your family your way and let me handle mine, my way.

Beth (32) DH (37) Tyler (5 1/2) Bayley (3)

erinsmom1964
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM
Quoting PEEK05:

I know right. If Erin didnt want to be there we would just leave. We had a class about a year ago we did together. She just didnt get into it and wouldnt really pay attention. It was called Musikgarten. I just told her either she pay attention and behave properly or we were going home. She said OK. LOL. I did tell her we would finish today then not come again. She was the happiest she had been there. So I was out 50 bucks....so what. The idea is to have fun...learn new things...make new friends. If she isnt enjoying it I would never think to allow her to impede others from having fun....to ME that is so rude.
morisa32
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Nope
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Quoting PEEK05:

I know right. If Erin didnt want to be there we would just leave. We had a class about a year ago we did together. She just didnt get into it and wouldnt really pay attention. It was called Musikgarten. I just told her either she pay attention and behave properly or we were going home. She said OK. LOL. I did tell her we would finish today then not come again. She was the happiest she had been there. So I was out 50 bucks....so what. The idea is to have fun...learn new things...make new friends. If she isnt enjoying it I would never think to allow her to impede others from having fun....to ME that is so rude.

Yeah, we tried a parent-tot gymnastics class right before my daughter turned 2 and she was just not into it because she wanted to run around and do her own thing and not what the class was doing.We left the class early because she just didn't want to cooperate and thankfully they gave us a refund.  I wasn't expecting one but I explained politely what was going on and they were more than happy to refund our class money.  There was a waiting list so they knew someone would take her spot.  We are trying again this winter when she will be 4 now that she's more into these kinds of things.

robibuni
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this
No, but DD has only done swimming lessons. The first few moments of the first day she cried cause at the time, she hadn't taken any classes away from DH and I; but once she got in the water she fell in love and took two classes this summer to improve her swimming.

There was one little boy in her class that literally screamed the entire time in the water and his mom stood there watching him. One of the instructors had to take him from the other students cause no one could hear over his screams and she still just left him while he screamed. I was pissed...and I felt bad for the boy because something like that and water could traumatize him.

DD is now asking for dance classes and I plan on taking advantage of the free intro classes to make sure its something she'd be interested in seriously.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM
Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My kids aren't THOSE kids, for the most part.  My DD just did her first swim lesson without me in the pool with her.  She cried for the whole entire first class so, yes, in that case I was one of THOSE moms.  Taking her out of the pool wasn't going to teach her anything and by day 2 she was happy as a clam.  She's just a control freak.  She's not scared of the water at all.  She's part fish, she just wasn't sure what to make of it without me but she adjusted.  If I knew she was scared of the water I would have taken another approach.  I just handle each situation as it comes but that's the 1 and only time my kids have ever done that to that extent.  The whole pool heard her screaming and I asked the front desk if I should get her so as to not disrupt things and they left it up to me but said they deal with that all the time in the preschool classes.  I want my DD to learn water safety so I wasn't going to remove her from the class UNLESS she did it everyday for the first week, which she didn't.  Taking her out after 10 mins wasn't the answer so I made the decision I thought was best for MY child.  I'm sure there were people like you judging me but I don't care.  Handle your family your way and let me handle mine, my way.

What about having some respect for the other kids. By allowing your child to disrupt their time and making the teacher focus on your child your taking from them. I love how you point out you did what was best for YOUR child. That is exactly my point. You ignore whats best for everyone else and take from them. SMH
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)