Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you feel about public time-outs?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 196 Replies

So my 3yr old LOVES to run away, which can obviously be very dangerous. He thinks it's a "game" of sorts. So I've recently been putting him in time-out in those public places (out of the way of public trafic of course). It's proving very effective. What are your thoughts of this public form of disipline with a toddler?

I would love to here both sides! Pro's and Con's :)

But please follow cafemom's guidlines. Thanks!  

by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hache2
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM
How does a public timeout work? When I put DS in timeout at home he screams. He's 2, so maybe I expect too much from him.
snowmommy0406
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM
35 moms liked this

I think it is great when parent's aren't afraid to parent and disapline their children in public.  My kids both get time outs in public if their behavior is not what it should be, I have a friend that won't because she is afraid of what other people will think, I think it is worse though to not to then to let your child act out and konw that you won't disapline them so they do what they want.

mom2maryjoseph
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do time outs, but I take them from the store.  They know what will happen.  Sometimes we just go to the car and calm down and sometimes we go home.  If we have to go home they then have to do timeout at the house.

wife-4-life
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM
6 moms liked this
I have totally put my 2 y.o in time out in public before. Sometimes at church or at the grocery store. People look at me funny but we are in a time where there is a lack of discipline period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wife-4-life
by Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Also, had a frien who's son was being naughty in the mall so she marched him over to a corner ad old him to stand in the corner (that's how she did her timeouts). She also told him to behave everywhere because where ever they go there are corners which means he can stand in timeout there. He was much more well behaved in public after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2b2324
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this
I will never do public timeout. my mother forced me to stand in the corner at a restaurant when I was about 7-8. I don't remember the thing that landed me in trouble, but I do remember the absolute humiliation I felt. so to me, I won't do it.cause in the long run the deed will be forgotten way before the hurt of the punishment .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM
5 moms liked this

I use them when necessary.  Unacceptable behavior is unacceptable behavior whether at home or in public and kids need to know they don't get away with more because the environment has changed.  My kids have been going to timeout since they were 18 months so they know to sit when Mommy says "sit".  My daughter is a runner as well and we are working on it but I always have her in a stroller or cart when we are in crowded places.  It's not worth the stress to me so I just keep her contained and don't worry about it.

othermom
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I am all for it. I have done it several times with each of my kids. I have taken them outside to do it at stores. I have done it while we are out walking too and at the park.

Meli55aG2001
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM
We don't do a public timeout but we do remove her from the environment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mipsy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 6:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I tell my son that all the time! That there are corners everywhere we go so he better behave

Quoting wife-4-life:

Also, had a frien who's son was being naughty in the mall so she marched him over to a corner ad old him to stand in the corner (that's how she did her timeouts). She also told him to behave everywhere because where ever they go there are corners which means he can stand in timeout there. He was much more well behaved in public after that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)