Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

(Updated) Can Your Child...

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
  • 97 Replies

trace his or her name?  My son is 4 and started pre-K a few weeks ago.  His teacher told me she wants to cut him down to 2 days a week because he has a hard time being quiet in class and "he doesn't even trace his name".  That's why he is there, to learn how to do things like trace his name.  I don't understand how she thinks cutting his days would help him.

I talked to administration and they said they don't agree with what she said and he needs to be there 5 days a week.  So the administrative assistant explained this to her.  (I couldn't be there because I had to go to work.)

This teacher told me after having him in class for 7 DAYS that she thinks he might need to go to preschool again next year.  WHAT?!  I think she is stuck with the mindset that he is going to go to preschool again and is not working with him like she should be.  He meets all the requirements for going to kindergarten except writing his name and using scissors.  I think an entire school year is PLENTY of time to learn these things.  I am so frustrated.

UPDATE:

I ended up having a conference with the teacher and the Principal.  It was useless because the teacher kept stating her opinions as facts.  She kept saying my sons brain moves "90 miles an hour" and that's why he scibbles on his paper instead of tracing his name.  He is scribbling because he needs HELP!  She also insisted that she needed to to some "testing to see where he is at".  I made it clear that I wasn't interested in having any tests done on him and that our time would be better spent just working on whatever he had trouble with (The Principal agreed with me).  We had another meeting last Thursday and the first thing she says is, "Here are some tests I did on him..."  I just stared at her, she is completely disregarding everything I said.

My husband came back home last week after being gone for 3 weeks for work.  He started taking our son to school and observing a little bit.  Right away he told me that he didn't like the teachers demeanor towards our son.  He scheduled an interview with a different school and took our son to meet the teacher there.  He called me at work and told me flat out he didn't like our sons current teacher and that he wanted him in the new school.  The class is smaller, there is a regular aide and the teacher has lots of experience.  I told him I wanted to see how the last meeting went (not well) and I wanted to go to the new school myself before committing.

The last meeting was a complete fail and I was really upset.  (I have been dragging my feet about finding him a new school because I wanted things to work out where I am already working.)  Last Friday I went to the new school and met the teacher.  It was really amazing how well my son took to this teacher.  I couldn't deny that it was most likely a better place for our son to go.  So we filled out all the paperwork and told the principal at his old school that we were pulling him out.  The principal appologized for his staff not being up to par.

Today is my sons first day at the new school. (I'm picking him up in about an hour.)  I get to go to work this afternoon and fill out a drop form for him and deal with the awkwardness of working across the hall from his old teacher.  I just hope this new school is the right place for him.

by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ashleywagoner
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:43 PM
That is ridiculous ...honestly I would find a new school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Bronze Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Find another school.The school year practically just started.G/L

MamaTasha08
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:51 PM

This is a really difficult situation for me because I work at this school.  I really wanted things to work out.  When I registered him last Spring I thought he was going to have a teacher that I really loved and had years of experience.  That teacher resigned literally 2 weeks before school started.  This is his teacher's first year teaching and it seems like she doesn't know what she's doing at all.

MamaTasha08
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I guess I'm going to let him finish up this month there while I look at other schools.  So frustrating and awkward because I work at this school.

Quoting ashleywagoner:

That is ridiculous ...honestly I would find a new school.

NyiaBaby216
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:02 PM
thats insane.
i mean, my 3.5 yr old can trace her name but not all kids can! thats unfair to the both of you! how can he benefit from the class if he has less instruction than other kids? ive never heard of a school doing that...my son will be 3 mths shy of 4 when he starts pre k and im almost positive he wont be tracing his name by then
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I would switch schools too but I understand your situation since you work there. Can you sit down calmly (which would be hard for me to do with a teacher like this) and explain to her that he is going to kindergarten next year no matter what and that you really need her help (I know its kind of kissing up but its for your kid) in what can be done to get him ready. Ask what you can do at home to help. If you go into it like that, maybe she will be more willing to listen and do something. I think its absolutely ridiculous that she wanted to cut the days and to have a opinion after only 7 days. Good Luck!

MamaTasha08
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

He just needs help and I thought that's what he was going to get there.  He cannot be the only kid who can't trace letters yet.  His class is almost all boys.

Administration won't even allow for the whole cutting his days down to happen so she didn't know what she was talking about.  I am really concerned that she doesn't know what she is doing and her class is a waste of time and money.

Quoting NyiaBaby216:

thats insane.
i mean, my 3.5 yr old can trace her name but not all kids can! thats unfair to the both of you! how can he benefit from the class if he has less instruction than other kids? ive never heard of a school doing that...my son will be 3 mths shy of 4 when he starts pre k and im almost positive he wont be tracing his name by then

Nichole0403
by Member on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
Wow..... What's the point to going to school then? Always thought it was to learn... It's her job to help, maybe she shouldn't be a teacher. I understand not being able to give the kids 100% attention but help and guide them at least. My 4 yo wasn't good at tracing at all. 2 weeks into school he does awesome and can even write his name with absolutly no help. Whereas 2 weeks ago he couldn't even think about it. That's with an awesome teacher though. Find somewhere else with an experienced teacher or have face to face talk to the teacher and make sure she understands her job description.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaTasha08
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:38 PM

When she brought up him repeating next year I said nicely, "Won't he be too old?"  Right away she said "Oh no, there is another kid here re-taking preschool."  My son will be 5 in January, that would mean he would turn 6 in preschool!  And this other kid she is talking about that is repeating is totally different.  He had some major behavior problems and she wasn't his teacher at all.

I have been working on tracing letters with him at home and I will keep doing it until he learns.  When I bring him in on Monday I'm going to talk to the teacher and tell her that I'm willing to do anything extra at home that she thinks would help.

It's hard for me to have faith in this teacher because to me it seems like she doesn't know what she's doing.  I have a hard time communicating with her because I don't want to sound rude.

Quoting Wendsdy:

I would switch schools too but I understand your situation since you work there. Can you sit down calmly (which would be hard for me to do with a teacher like this) and explain to her that he is going to kindergarten next year no matter what and that you really need her help (I know its kind of kissing up but its for your kid) in what can be done to get him ready. Ask what you can do at home to help. If you go into it like that, maybe she will be more willing to listen and do something. I think its absolutely ridiculous that she wanted to cut the days and to have a opinion after only 7 days. Good Luck!

AHmom103
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

My oldest dd can write her name by herself, and has been for awhile. I do think your son's teacher is out of line though. I taught my dd how to write her name by working with her half an hour a day for a couple weeks. We went from tracing to writing it on her own in about a month's time.

I'm a designer at the best siggy group on CM--click here to check it out!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)