Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

my preschooler is TOO NICE

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM
  • 17 Replies
She is wonderful. Always smiling singing and dancing. No worries. So friendly. She has had tubes put in her ears and has had speech problems so I think she don't fully understand the concept of "don't talk to strangers " this is serious to me
It should be to anyone. We just left the store a man was by our car she said "Hi!" He said "Hi how are you?" She said "ALEXUS " O_o I Don't Know How To Explain To her not to talk to strangers because she may need to one day like a parent with kids. I don't know I'm just really confused this my first preschooler. Advice please and thank you :)

*EDIT*
I don't wanna teach her stranger danger because something may happen but she does this all the time. Every old lady she sees she say "hey grandma "and tries to hug them
.she has hugged my dh male friends when.we were at a get together and she never met him before. She use to see a.black guy in Walmart and say "hey daddy " that's so embarrassing she was 2 then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM
I think its ok to respond to people when she is with you. My dd does that too, I don't want her to be rude. But my dd knows she doesn't go with strangers and if she's lost or loses me she finds a mommy or someone who works at the store. She's 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM

My 3.5 year old daughter is just like that.  She will talk to strangers.  I have no idea how to get it across to her that it can be dangerous!

When people ask my daughter "How are you?", she always says "I'm 3." LOL! Your daughter answering with her name just reminded me of that. 

babowes
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM
Just keep her close. Let her say hi and then move on so there cannot be a big conversation. Then she will not get a connection or give too much info.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM

That's not a problem.  The problem would be if she were surly all the time.  I don't have a problem with my child talking to strangers, as long as he or she is with me.  I did not teach stranger danger, because if something happened to me, and one of my kids needed to go get help, I'd probably be dead before he or she found a police officer to talk to, and if we got separated in the store, he or she needs to be able to ask for help, not be frozen in fear because the people around him or her are strangers.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I turned to look at something at Wild Waves, and my son did not see me stop, and turned the corner, and that was all the time it took for us to get separated.  He approached a man with children for help, and that man took him to the First Aid station where I had also gone to get assistance.  If I taught him stranger danger, he wouldn't have been able to ask for help, and would have kept wandering around looking for me, and it's possible it would have taken forever to find him.

amlucas2011
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM
That's good. I really didn't have a problem with her speaking. She gave him her name though. And she used to speak to EVERYONE in the store
How did u explain that to her?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I think its ok to respond to people when she is with you. My dd does that too, I don't want her to be rude. But my dd knows she doesn't go with strangers and if she's lost or loses me she finds a mommy or someone who works at the store. She's 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amlucas2011
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Lol Its Funny And cute when u think about it because I just laughed. But what if she sees that stranger again will she think its okay to go with him? That's scary

Quoting PEEK05:

My 3.5 year old daughter is just like that.  She will talk to strangers.  I have no idea how to get it across to her that it can be dangerous!

When people ask my daughter "How are you?", she always says "I'm 3." LOL! Your daughter answering with her name just reminded me of that. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amlucas2011
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:50 PM
That's what I was trying to do but I have two other kids I was getting out the car. I still want to explain to her what's right and wrong but I don't know what to say really

Quoting babowes:

Just keep her close. Let her say hi and then move on so there cannot be a big conversation. Then she will not get a connection or give too much info.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amlucas2011
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 4:53 PM
That's my point. I don't wanna teach her stranger danger because something may happen but she does this all the time. Every old lady she sees she say "hey grandma "and tries to hug them
.she has hugged my dh male friends when.we were at a get together and she never met him before. She use to see a.black guy in Walmart and say "hey daddy " that's so embarrassing she was 2 then.

Quoting kailu1835:

That's not a problem.  The problem would be if she were surly all the time.  I don't have a problem with my child talking to strangers, as long as he or she is with me.  I did not teach stranger danger, because if something happened to me, and one of my kids needed to go get help, I'd probably be dead before he or she found a police officer to talk to, and if we got separated in the store, he or she needs to be able to ask for help, not be frozen in fear because the people around him or her are strangers.  Just a couple of weeks ago, I turned to look at something at Wild Waves, and my son did not see me stop, and turned the corner, and that was all the time it took for us to get separated.  He approached a man with children for help, and that man took him to the First Aid station where I had also gone to get assistance.  If I taught him stranger danger, he wouldn't have been able to ask for help, and would have kept wandering around looking for me, and it's possible it would have taken forever to find him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

What you are describing is totally normal, so I woudln't get up in arms.

But, I wouldn't focus as much on stranger danger as I would focus on "stick to me" and "here are ways that certain actions are bad....like certain touches, etc".  Those are a lot more valuable than "Stranger Danger".....that makes children assume that perhaps all strangers are bad and/or all people they know are safe.

Good luck!

RobynS
by Robyn on Sep. 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Oh boy... well, the newest word on stranger danger is that you shouldn't teach it that way, anyway. Someone introduces themselves and then, voilá, they're not strangers any more. Plus, more often than not, the predator is NOT a stranger but someone the child knows (family or friend of family, etc).

But I see why you're concerned... too "nice" can be an issue. I'm not sure how to go about toning it down, though... :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN