Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

18month old not walking without support

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM
  • 20 Replies
My 18 month old still not walking without support...walks holding my fingers but as soon as I let go he it's down... My Ped said he is scared to let go so keep pushing him to walk without help..but it's been tough
Should I be worried

Please help
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I am no expert  but most kids are walking by that age.  If your pedi isn't worried then give him another month or so but I would keep pushing him.  Have him walk a tiny distance between you and your hubby to help him gain confidence and then gradually get farther apart.  If he's not improving in a month you may look for a recommendation for physical therapy.

TTC2Long
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Agreed. Better to have him evaluated and get early intervention if he needs it sooner than later. Could just be a late bloomer, but it won't hurt to check!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I am no expert  but most kids are walking by that age.  If your pedi isn't worried then give him another month or so but I would keep pushing him.  Have him walk a tiny distance between you and your hubby to help him gain confidence and then gradually get farther apart.  If he's not improving in a month you may look for a recommendation for physical therapy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:58 PM

My second dd didnt walk until 17.5 months.  I would give it a little longer....is he cruising along furniture?  Can he support his own weight, and does he take steps holding on?

mrsniebo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Keep working with him. DD was a late walker and was still only walking with a little support at 18 months. I think she just felt a bit insecure about taking that step on her own, but could stand, dance, and twirl a roll of wrapping paper over her head without falling over. It finally took potty training to get her walking independently and she was about 18.5 months.

mypbandj
by Jen on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM
2 moms liked this

He sounds like he does have some gross motor delays. (btw that has nothing to do with how smart he either is or isn't). It sounds like he is going in the right direction but if he were my baby, I would be contacting early intervention for a screening or evaluation. They may tell you that he's just a slow developer and then give you ideas of how you can encourage him to walk. Or they may tell you that he is actually more delayed than you realized and then qualify him for services. Either way, at least you would have a physical therapist who is trained in infant development give you the final word. Doctors are not physical therapists. They do not know everything.

Ericnikita
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Yup he is holding on to furniture and cruising...would walk holding my finger but not independently
Jasuzha
by Janet on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:51 AM
My son started walking at 18 months 1 week. He is in early intervention because of motor and speech delays. His pediatrician wasn't worried. Actually 18 months is the end of the spectrum for when children start walking. Something you can do to help is get an activity walker. You know one of those toys that they walk behind and push. They make them with all sorts of activities on them or able change into ride ons so he can still use it after he learns to walk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaZena
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

If ti seems he is just scared, give him some more time :) 

If it was that he couldnt actually stand or step I would worry.

Be thankful your little boy is cautious :) most that I know aren't afraid of anything.....and think that climbing or jumping off of everything is a good idea!

bekalynne440
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Our dr said if a child can walk while holding hands and toys and can cruise furniture she doesn't worry until a they are 2 and not walking. Dd was scared to walk too. She finally started walking at 16 months or so. It seemed like it took forever.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Poisongirl98
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM
A pediatric physical therapist told me they want to see a kid walking (not just cruising) by 18 months. I'd make a call to early intervention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)