Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

18month old not walking without support

Posted by   + Show Post
My 18 month old still not walking without support...walks holding my fingers but as soon as I let go he it's down... My Ped said he is scared to let go so keep pushing him to walk without help..but it's been tough
Should I be worried

Please help
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 3:39 PM

If your peditrician isn't concerned, I would give it some more time.  My friend's son didn't want until 16 months I think. Some kids do walk later.  Does he walk around the furniture ok with holding on? My Dad owned a Stride Rite kids store for 30+ years. He always said when kids are stepping around the furniture and holding on, to get them their first good pair of walking shoes.  Good pair meaning something with a firm heel. It keeps the foot straight and gives them the balance they need.  As my Dad would say, when they first get the shoes on, they will just stand there and not move because its a strange feeling and it looks like they have weights on :)  but it gives them the balance they need.  Just a thought.  If you're still worried, you might want to get a opinion from another Dr.  Whatever puts your mind at ease. I know what its like to worry about your kids :)  Good Luck!

mama91605
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM
Agreed

Quoting mypbandj:

He sounds like he does have some gross motor delays. (btw that has nothing to do with how smart he either is or isn't). It sounds like he is going in the right direction but if he were my baby, I would be contacting early intervention for a screening or evaluation. They may tell you that he's just a slow developer and then give you ideas of how you can encourage him to walk. Or they may tell you that he is actually more delayed than you realized and then qualify him for services. Either way, at least you would have a physical therapist who is trained in infant development give you the final word. Doctors are not physical therapists. They do not know everything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ericnikita
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM
My 18 month old has a bag cough for the first time no fever though...he is teething as well
I took him to doc she said his chest is not congestedJust to continue giving him honey and warm water and a lot of fluids
when he sleeps he sometimes wakes up coughing and throwing up.have stopped dairy products for him since that builds mucous
Any other advice...please help!
AleaKat
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM
My oldest was 18 months when he learned to walk finally . We put him in part time daycare for a couple months and he was running before we knew it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VAGal25
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

My DD didn't walk until 16 months but at her 15 month check-up the doctor said we would just "talk more at her 18 month check up if she still wasn't walking" but she said she wasn't worried about it.  My DD did that too, where she would require your finger or something to walk.  She is still scared to try new things.  At 20 months she still won't climb up on the couch by herself.  I would mention it to your pedi but it could be ok.  All kids are different.

misfitdiva
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Call your doc first but mine are able to have Childrens Claritin and that seems to help.   

Quoting Ericnikita:

My 18 month old has a bag cough for the first time no fever though...he is teething as well
I took him to doc she said his chest is not congestedJust to continue giving him honey and warm water and a lot of fluids
when he sleeps he sometimes wakes up coughing and throwing up.have stopped dairy products for him since that builds mucous
Any other advice...please help!

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Quoting mypbandj:

He sounds like he does have some gross motor delays. (btw that has nothing to do with how smart he either is or isn't). It sounds like he is going in the right direction but if he were my baby, I would be contacting early intervention for a screening or evaluation. They may tell you that he's just a slow developer and then give you ideas of how you can encourage him to walk. Or they may tell you that he is actually more delayed than you realized and then qualify him for services. Either way, at least you would have a physical therapist who is trained in infant development give you the final word. Doctors are not physical therapists. They do not know everything.

I agree. 

corrinacs
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I agree with this.  Also, moreso than that, you may want to have an initial consult with a physical therapist now to get recommendations about how to build this confidence.  Also, she can see things that you can do to help.  Llike, maybe he should have some shoes to help hold his feet in the right position...etc.

Good luck!

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I am no expert  but most kids are walking by that age.  If your pedi isn't worried then give him another month or so but I would keep pushing him.  Have him walk a tiny distance between you and your hubby to help him gain confidence and then gradually get farther apart.  If he's not improving in a month you may look for a recommendation for physical therapy.

zolanmel
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM
If he's not walking unassisted by 19 months have him evaluated .

He is slightly delayed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM
My neice did the same thing.. We are sure she was just scared to fall. We could even hold her hand and she would walk but once we let go she would sit.. Im sure your little one is fine, and the fact that baby is trying on there own (while holding on to furniature, hands, toys ect..) is a good thing..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN