Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need some manner of comparison...

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM
  • 14 Replies

DD is going to be 2 next month. She understands quite alot, because she can follow some basic directions (No, don't touch, put it back, drink milk/juice, eat bananas, go bye-bye, etc.), however, we have no real gauge of her verbal skills since she simply refuses to repeat words most of the time. Every so often she comes up with something, then won't say it again. Mainly she says Boo-boo (her nickname), yeah, yes, no-no, mama, dada, gamma (grandma), kee-kee(kitty), and eat. She's learning 'good girl' and seems fond of repeating that one a bit more often.

She walks/runs well, climbs chairs/couches, takes small steps up and down well on her own, and larger steps with a steadying hand. Her hand-eye coordination seems excellent.

She HATES water...especially if it gets anywhere on her face. She will not sit in a tub, so she gets showers. And lately, food has been a minor fight. Even her favorite foods don't seem to excite her much. She's not ill, and her teething is in a settled spot at the moment. 

Any thoughts on the words/water issue/encouraging to self feed more often?

by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Higgymom0803
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 2:22 AM
DS is two and is kinds the same way with his words. He is now 28 months and his vocabulary has finally started to pick io a lot more and he is talking a lot. The doctor said he was very active and would rather do than say. I say give it a few more months and if nothing has changed express concern.

The water thing is normal. Some kids just don't like being wet. She could grow our of it, and she may not. Keep doing what you're doing.

Food wise, kids this age go through phases where they don't eat. It's not like she is starving herself. If she were hungry, she would eat. Try to offer healthy snacks and try to get her to eat when you eat. Her eating habits should pick back up soon. Give daily vitamins (kids tend to like the gummy ones) so she's still getting enough nutrition. And good luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Why don't you have her evaluated by a speech therapist? My son had a delay due to a lip/tongue tie that he had surgically fixed. He could not say m, b, s, and so on. All the letters they look for. Poor kid couldn't couldn't call me mommy and talks so good now (comparibly) from when he started. There are state programs (mine is first steps in KY) that can help. I would voice your concern to your pediatrician and good luck:) Mommies know their babies the best and even my first pediatrician didn't even think there was a problem but there was. I totally was aggressive over the whole matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arkansasmama08
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2012 at 4:51 AM
How far into "2" is she? Did she just turn 2 or is she closer to 3?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DarksMama
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM

She's not tongue-tied and can say those letters. She's just willful about it.

And she's going to be 2 next month.

As for gummy vites, she has no back teeth yet, so she cant' chew them, and that also stops her from alot of foods that other kids her age seem to be eating.

Higgymom0803
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM
DD is able to eat them and she doesn't have her back teeth in yet. There are a few that are really soft. Disney brand stuff is on them.

Quoting DarksMama:

She's not tongue-tied and can say those letters. She's just willful about it.

And she's going to be 2 next month.

As for gummy vites, she has no back teeth yet, so she cant' chew them, and that also stops her from alot of foods that other kids her age seem to be eating.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liz0808
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM
I remember being worried about Max talking at that age. Within 6 months he was chatting away. My mom can't believe his vobabulary! I know she is grandma but if I makes me proud when she is in teacher mode(teaches 2nd grade) and explains to me why she is amazed that he can say/do certain things. I would just give it some time. Did/does she use a pacifier? That slowed Max down. Helped me stay sane but slowed him down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blissfulmama80
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM

If she's not even quite 2 yet, I wouldn't worried... at all.  My DD had a word explosion after she turned 2.  I think it should like she is on track.  As for the eating thing?  I think kids go different stages.  Sometimes my kids eat really well and other times they pick.  They might eat one kind of food like crazy and then next thing I know they are turning their noses up at it.  Stinkers.  If she continues to concern you, you can always bring it up at the next well check appt, but I wouldn't be too worried...

... on a side note... I LOVE your avatar.  :)  I'm slightly obsessed with Tim Curry.  <3  

DarksMama
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

TexanMomOf6
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM
My youngest just turned 2. I speak English and I use ASL (American Sign Language) He could sign before he could speak. He speaks well now and in complete sentences sometimes. My grandson didn't hardly say a word until after he was 3. My mom thought something was wrong. Now he's 6 and ahead of most of his classmates in everything. Make sure you are using your full vocabulary and don't baby-talk unless it's when you're being silly. She will pick it up. Mine would rather take a shower too. Not a big deal. Food.....I put 4 or 5 little spoons of healthy items on his plate and give him a utensil and let him eat what he wants. Then I give him more of whatever he likes that day. I don't push him to eat. Don't let her fill up on juice or milk. My mom pushed my nephews to eat, eat, eat, so they would eat to get her approval. As a result, they were both obese. Sometimes the harder you push, the deeper they dig in their little heels.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Sep. 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM
My daughter was the exact same way when she was 2. She didn't like water on her but now she loves baths. We did the shower too. She had a vocabulary of about a dozen words when she went for her 2 year check up. Her dr was not worried and said wait about 6 months she won't stop talking. Boy was he right! She literally had a language explosion at almost 2 1/2.
Food was and still is an issue but I try and get her to try one new food each week. Her appetite seemed to just fall through the floor. She doesn't care for much and that changes with time. She's 3 now and is still a picky eater but her vocabulary is wonderful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)