Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Breastfeeding.....when to stop..

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this
hey, just read about a mom breastfeeding her 20 month old at an Applebee's and to be honest thought to myself 1st "why the hell is she still breatfeeding?" 2nd "he couldn't wait, drink some water maybe". I am all for breastfeeding, I think all women should, but when do you stop?

For me as soon as my kids could bite me on purpose or at all really I stopped. How about you?
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suroundedbyboys
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM
I'm still bf my daughter she is 13 months, we will continue to do so until she weans. Honestly I think she will wean soon, I planned on goin for 2 years, I think she has other plans. I've been working more hours, so she is at daycare 4 days a week and doesnt take a bottle or anything. Yesterday she only nursed at bed time and during the night.
As far as nursing a 20 month old i it were my child and she were hungry or fussy, yes I would nurse at a restaurant. I think it's no one else's business what you are doing with your child if it's not hurting the child. Long term bf has benefits and if it works for the mother and child, who are you to say any different?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emadele
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Am now of the belief that the child should decide when they are comfortable stopping. With my first I forced him to ween at 14 months because I was exhausted and I thought he didn't need it any more. It was awful. This baby I will let self ween.
nodramamama311
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I did not nurse my kids but I do think its awesome, I have absolutely nothing against it, it just wasnt for me. That being said I think some women take it way too far. YES, its way better than formula and gives their little bodies a boost BUT its not necessary to live. I think anything after 2 is just wierd. Thats the best word I can think of to describe how I think about it. I dont mean in any kin of sexual way or anything like that, its just weird. The child, by age 2, is well into walking and talking, I hope drinking out of a cup and not a bottle and eating solid food. There is no need for them to still be nursing. Im sure thats not going to be a popular opinion but its how I feel.

My son is 4 and carrying on full adult conversations and is like a tiny adult, I cant even imagine putting him to my boob,  ****shivers****

AleaKat
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM
About 10 months i think i stopped
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I bf my kids til they were 2.5yo. They were nursing just a couple times a day around 20months. I am all for self weening.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Audreesmommy757
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this

my daughter is 22 months and i still breastfeed her....if we ar in public and she asks i just tell her when we get home....i dont think their is anything wrong with her still breastfeeding

SWells041585
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been called a nursing nazi- I totally believe in self-weaning :) The benefits for both Mom & baby are THROUGH THE ROOF!! LO #3 is gonna be my boobie baby as long as HE (::quietly:: or she) wants!

Gweneveer
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is 25 mos and Im still bf her.  

Truthfully, I would love to stop, but she just isnt having it.  lol

itsm3
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:41 AM

i say a mom can bf as long as she wants.  i really don't get why it's anyone's business how long a mother bf her child.

i stopped bfing at 3 or 4mos but that's because dd wasn't eating properly on my boob and was really underweight so i switched to pumping instead.

tjuhmylove
by on Sep. 20, 2012 at 8:45 AM
6 moms liked this

my daughter is 3 and still nursing, she mostly nurses right before bed and early in the morning. If she asks to nurse while we are out I tell her when we get home and she is find with that. I think that mom in the restaurant did nothing wrong; she was nursing a fussy baby not flashing her self to anyone. I think people should just mind their own and if it bothers them they just need to look the other way :0)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN