Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Fun for Fall Challenge Day 7: Craft & Learn...WIN a Bonus Prize!

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM
  • 262 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today's challenge is an ABC of Fall letter book! This activity is good to help toddlers learn their letters and for preschoolers to start recognizing words.

One lucky member who participates in today's activity will receive a CafeMom Mug!

Materials Needed:
 Paper
 Optional supplies (crayons, paint, markers, glue, printer, etc)

I printed out the letters for the first two as an example, but you can hand write your letters and words (that's what I plan on doing for the rest of my kids' letter book). I made a large letter, wrote the word, and drew a picture for my kids to color in. You can do this activity over a couple of days or stretch it out and do a letter a week!

You can use whatever words fit best for your kids, but here's a example of some of the fall words you can use for the letter book.

A- Apple N- Night
B- Bat O- Owl
C- Candy  P- Penguin (costume)
D- Dog (costume)  Q- Quilt
E- Elephant (costume) R- Rake
F- Football S- Scarecrow or Spider
G- Ghost T- Tree
H- Hay or Haunted house U- Umbrella
I- Indian corn V- Vegetables
J- Jack o Lantern W- Witch
K- Kangeroo (costume) X- X-ray skeletons
L- Leaf Y- Yellow
M- Mummy Z- Zebra (costume)

What are some of your kids' favorite books? What are some ways you help your kids learn new things?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it here. If you haven't signed up for the Fun for Fall Challenge yet, you can do so here.

Giveaway rules:

• The Toddlers Giveaway starts 9/30/12 at 6 am (ET) and ends 10/3/2012 at 11:00pm (ET) (the "Giveaway Period").
  • Enter by replying to this post with an appropriate comment during the Giveaway Period.
  • Multiple entries are permitted and encouraged, as it increases your chances of winning.
  • One winner will be selected in a random drawing of all eligible entries entries to receive a CafeMom Mug
  • The random drawing shall occur on or about 10/7/12.
  • No Purchase Necessary.
  • Open to US, DC, and PR residents 16 years and older.
  • Void where prohibited. Click here for the rest of the Official Rules.

by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LexRi0709
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM
I just did this with dd's 3 days ago and have been working on it every day! They love it! I found a great website (lessonpathways) that it for homeschoolers, but its such a great resource! We have done some arts and crafts projects from the site and watched a few short videos so far. We also go to the library 1 time every 2 wks and get books about animals. This week I plan to introduce continents and start going through important people in history.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
T-Rentsmommy06
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:52 AM
My boys love Dr. Seuss books. Green Eggs and Ham especially.

To help learn/reconize letters and numbers I put up sticky notes with a letter or number on it all over the house and they hunt for them.

We discuss what we see, hear, taste etc and use describing words to help learn shapes, colors and sounds, to learn associations as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
littlecolton07
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:56 AM
They like any book that has cool pictures to look at. I am not artistic at all so I would not be able to draw those pictures.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss05
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Cute But I can see finishing this with DD and her ripping it to shreds within 5 minutes.:)

hypnautica
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 9:58 AM
It would have to be The Hungry Caterpillar. I like using flash cards to help her learn colors, shapes, letters.and numbers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
butzi
by Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:08 AM

fun craft!

AspensMama1537
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM
We are still working on learning letters and numbers. I have tried things like this and they haven't seemed to help yet. I think she is still a little young for it. She like to learn thru movies and apps, lol go figure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygomez
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM

We've made two letter books in the past. They are fun to do. :)

Some of my daughter's favorite books right now are her Phonics Clifford the Big Red Dog books, but she loves any book really! We check out Step 1 books from the library, and everytime I read one to her, I run my index finger under each word I read aloud. I give thorough explanations, repetition, labeling of objects, flashcards (homemade are fun to do), encouragement in MANY ways, a lot of ways...

othermom
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This would be great for teaching Ann the alphabet

Sonshine1296
by on Sep. 30, 2012 at 10:20 AM
What a fun idea! Abby loves reading. Her favorite books right now are pinkalicious. We read together and play games to help her learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)