Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
  • 175 Replies

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamamedic69
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:21 AM
12 moms liked this
I would not be friends on FB. You want to keep the relationship separate from the rest of your life. I would just use the email she provided. I guess I would worry if you posted something or someone posted something on your wall that the teacher found "offensive" or "questionable" on how you're raising your child. You never know what people will think.

That's just my opinion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beco8627
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
2 moms liked this
I have liked my child's school on FB, simply for the updates...but I would never be friends with any of the faculty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
7 moms liked this
I am not FB friends with any of my school age children's teachers. I contact them through their school email or by phone. I feel that their FB is part of their personal lives and they deserve time away from school too.

However I did in home childcare for a couple years and was FB friends with some of the parents of the kids I watched. It was a bit different though, I only watched 3 LOs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:44 AM
No way! But unlike what has been said, I am not worried about my personal life or theirs, top rule in our house is NO FACEBOOK WHATSOEVER! I'm actually surprised DH and myself came up with an agreement for me to use this site and a stupid cellphone game site.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:46 AM
I wouldn't I woul just use her email. For my privacy and the teachers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pochaccotx
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:47 AM
I don't have her recent teacher on fb but I do now have her 3 yr old preschool teacher on there. We became close friends after school and she babysat my dd in the summer when I was in classes for college
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bekalynne440
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
We homeschool, so that's not an issue, lol.

If we didn't, I wouldn't friend their teachers. Teachers need some privacy and a separation with work and "play".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Use the school email she provides you.
I feel being Facebook friends is way over stepping your boundraries.
How many times have you seen people complain about something a teacher wrote in their Facebook page? Teachers need their space too, after school is their time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nodramamama311
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Not with current teachers but I am friends and Facebook friends with my daughters head start teacher. It's been about 6 yrs now since she's been in head start. She actually came to a Cinco de Mayo party we had when my daughter was in her class....lol. So muh fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gweneveer
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:36 AM
No way!!! I would never be friends with my kids teacher on fb. There are lots of other ways to get in touch with her that are just as easy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN