Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (161-170):
melanielmcgee
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM
I'm Facebook friends with several of my kids at current and previous teachers but I was friends with them in person before I friended them. but if I have questions about what's going on in school I don't do Facebook I go into the school and talk to them.
myboysx2
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I am, but it was actually her idea.  She has created a Mrs. ... Awesome 3rd graders Private page and she updates homework and pictures of her class that she takes and stuff... Its a good way to keep up I think.  I like it!

Myke
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You should be using the email provided, Facebook is a social and informal meeting place.  Think of it this way, would you discuss your childs school issues at your local bar if you happened to see his/her teacher there?  Unless the teacher has a separate facebook for school/teacher issues, stick to the email.

g3b12006
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
For us they are not allowed to friend students/parents that are in the district. I was friends w/DD's band teacher for over a yr pn fb then the rule started & we had to unfriend until DD was no longer in the district-now DD is in high school so I am back to being friends w/her-understand we have known ea other for 5 yrs & I helped a lot while DD was under her direction so we became friends. Perspnally though stick to just regular emails, phone calls. or notes keeps the teachers free of any issues that could damage their careers if you become real friends then wait til your child is out of that district to be fb friends : )
barefootmommi
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Mmmmmm I wouldn't be comfortable with that unless u guys were friends previously n ur kid just happened to end up on her class
AgGurl92
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I am friends with my past teachers from hivh school. But only when I graduated did I send friend requests. Our school system here in my part of tx has rules againsts students or parents friending teachers on fb. Only time its allowed id if you were friends before that student went to the school the teacher taught at or if you are related.
i have several past teachers on my fb, mind you I post a lot but most of it really isn't offensive or inappeopriate anyway due to family on my fbook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM

no.. nor do i want to be friends with them.. cause they have their own personal life.. that i don't care to know about.. if i want to talk to the teacher then i will talk to them after school one day if need be. :)

sophiesmom07
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I would not be friends with my child's teacher.  I don't want to be aware of what she does on her personal time.

asmoni
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:27 PM
Use the email she provides. Facebook is her personal space, that's my opinion
Bird7368
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I have friended teachers after the school year is over. One reason is I don't want them to feel like I am "watching" them. The teachers do enjoy seeing the kids grow up, I believe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN