Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Nicole_2007
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I am not friends with her teacher this year but I am friends with her old head start teacher

corrinacs
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I don't know if his teacher has a facebok, but he's too young.  My idea on the subject is no :/.  There's been way too many "messups" that ahve occured.

HTMommy
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I think its inappropriate unless you were already friends in real life BEFORE your child got into their class. I think so because its meant to be a personal page and in most cases it is, how would you feel if you saw you child's WONDERFUL teacher posting pictures while out partying it up? It would completely change your professional view of them bc of what they do outside of the school environment. That being said, not everyone is the same and some people can see past all that, but really, they have email to contact them on regarding your kid(s) there is no reason to be buddy buddy with them on such a personal level.

MunchieMama
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:20 PM
I'm a teacher, and I am not comfortable with friending my parents on fb, no matter how good the relationship is. I think as teachers, we already live our lives in "fishbowls", so I need that part of my life to be private. I realize that fb is not really private, but I turn my settings as private as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sillieguze
by Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:39 PM

I'm a teacher and I will not be friends with my students' parents.  I've only gotten 1 friend request from a parent and I politely told her my policy is not to be Facebook friends with parents.  My principal is friends with many parents and I think it's inappropriate. 

I would not contact your child's teacher through Facebook.  I would use the school email address that she's given you. 

bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:42 PM
Nope. I have no desire to be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:43 PM
wold u be ur doctors friend on fb?? not me...
calvinsmommy18
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM
I'm not fb friends with ds teacher. And she's related to us. Well distantly. She's FILs cousin. She's related to a few of the other students distantly too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:17 AM
I opted other. I am friends with her past 2 teachers and her music teacher. Her prek teacher and i became good friends but she didnt friend me on fb till the end of the year. i Went to high school with her k teachers but we weren't friends then so didnt become fb friends till the end of last year, i was really good friends with her music teacher for years so we were already fb friends. Most teachers will not friends you on fb until after your kids are out of their class which i completely understand. They don't want all their personal life out there incase there are issues with a student and parent. Because then their private life could be used against them. I also went to high school with her current 1 st grade teachers. I am friends with one of them on fb I think Maybe both of them. I should check lol
rain2twilight
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I feel that it's inappropriate for teachers and parents/students and teachers to friend each other on social networks.  That type of relationship needs to be professional.  I use my kids' teacher e-mails to talk to them.

Mom to 7 kids.  Full-time cashier.   First set of twins Jaken and Kagome (December 14, 2005), Hope (June 7, 2006), Daisy (March 25, 2009), Zayden (September 29, 2011), and 2nd set of twins Inuyasha and Iris (October 1, 2012).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)