Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (51-60):
thedathree
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Quoting Pink_Love:

No way! But unlike what has been said, I am not worried about my personal life or theirs, top rule in our house is NO FACEBOOK WHATSOEVER! I'm actually surprised DH and myself came up with an agreement for me to use this site and a stupid cellphone game site.

lol glad I'm not the only one in the world without facebook! I don't have one either. Probably one of the only 27 yo's on the planet without one who isn't amish.
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I like the schools page but not the individual teachers pages.

Pink_Love
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Lol I had it at one point... But fb is the root of many ppls problems, I dont want to be a fb statistic!

Quoting thedathree:

Quoting Pink_Love:

No way! But unlike what has been said, I am not worried about my personal life or theirs, top rule in our house is NO FACEBOOK WHATSOEVER! I'm actually surprised DH and myself came up with an agreement for me to use this site and a stupid cellphone game site.

lol glad I'm not the only one in the world without facebook! I don't have one either. Probably one of the only 27 yo's on the planet without one who isn't amish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I put other because I am FB friends with some but not others. The ones I am, are mostly because I've known them for years. (I even graduated HS with my kindergartener's teacher.) Lexie's choir director has a FB page set up for the parents to communicate, since we are very involved in the performances throughout the year.

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 12 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 8 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 5 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 23 weeks old

Momma1230
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM

As a teacher, I would not friend parents of my current students. I would be annoyed if parents were contacting me via facebook about school issues. After I'm done with a student, if I got a friend request from a parent I might accept depending on the parent. 

gcstar42
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I do not have my sons teacher as a friend on facebook. I did have his teacher last year on facebook though. It was about halfway through the year after I had got to know her. We actually had a lot of mutual friends and one time I saw some pictures of my friend that had my sons teacher in it as well. I had commented on the picture to my friend saying that was my sons teacher and the teacher saw it and commented back and we started talking lol so I just ended up adding her as a friend. I did not just look her up though and ask her to be my friend when I didn't even know her. I also have my sons old pre-k teacher on facebook, but that didn't happen until after she was no longer his teacher. We also had a couple of mutual friends and she saw my name and actually started talking to me first and asking how my son was doing and stuff.

thedathree
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Quoting Pink_Love:

lol I had a myspace and fb back a few years ago too. Omg yes though my sister and her husband have full out brawls over fb. It got so bad that he left and is in a different state now. She has their 3 kids and he didn't call in the begining for 3 weeks and she didn't know where he was. She asked him how he can just not call and see what his kids are doing.. He said " I don't need to capl to see what they're doing I can just look on your facebook page". But they had problems before too. She got married 7-7-7 bc she could only do it once and was going to use her tax returns to get a DIY divorce if it didn't work. And before that even he broke her nose while pregnant and gave her an std from cheating on her. they are crazy.
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM

DF's mom teaches at a private middle school and her students parents bug her all the time about why she isn't on Facebook.   The school has had issues with parents posting rude and innapropriate comments on their facebook about some teachers as well. 

I would never friend one of my sons teachers on Facebook, unless I knew them outside of being my sons teacher.  

tak1990
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:49 AM

My facebook friends are my friends. There is no way I would add a teacher on FB. First of all I think that is creepy and overbearing. Secondly, I doubt the teacher would want to add you. Think of it, there are 20-30 kids in a class each year. Why would anyone want to clutter their dashboard with posts by their student's families about people they have never even met? They do provide you an email and occasionally a phone number for contacting the teacher. Stick with that.

cupcake_mom
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:53 AM

i accually am friends with some of the teachers at my dds school. i have known most of them for 20 years since i went there too! i love the fact that im friends with them outside of school. i have play dates with my old math teachers kid lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN