Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (61-70):
tyheamma
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

It depends what you want out of FB and whether or not the teacher is interested. I am friends with several of my daughter's doctors. Consequently, my FB use borders on professional. I post a lot of fun quips about the girls, but nothing sexual or explicit and I do feel occasionally limited by the standards I keep for having professional friends on FB.

So many miracles for such a little girl! Follow Lily's story on her blog at princesslilysmiracle.blogspot.com or on Facebook at facebook.com/princesslilysmiracle.

Mommy_81
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I am, but mostly bc I live in a small town, my hubby grew up here, and knows sooo many people. He is a couple years younger than my daughters Kindergarten teacher, but they have known each other most of their lives. So yes, we are.

Itzy0ll0tl
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Quoting mamamedic69:

I would not be friends on FB. You want to keep the relationship separate from the rest of your life. I would just use the email she provided. I guess I would worry if you posted something or someone posted something on your wall that the teacher found "offensive" or "questionable" on how you're raising your child. You never know what people will think.

That's just my opinion

this!!!!

Glowing4Caleb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

My son is still in daycare, so I am sure my answer will change next year in kindergarten. However, I am friends with his teachers and have been since he was in the baby room. He is in pre-k there now and I am friends with his two teachers, BUT I have been friends with one since he was a toddler and the other one for about a year, as she also has kids his age that he is friends with. We post on each other's walls all the time, but not really about school, unless it is a note to say he is sick and will be abset, which is sent in a message. Next year, though. I dont think I will be-friend his new teachers. Right now, where he is, the place is like an extended family. I am friends with the other moms (and some of the dads, even) and our kids all play outside of school, etc. We also post pictures of each other's kids (but we did ask first!) at school functions during the day that another parent might not be able to attend. I have even had some of his teachers post pictures of him during the day, but again, they did ask first. I love being friends with them because they really are friends of mine - not just "facebook friends"

jhslove
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:42 AM

No, use the contact info she provided. If she didn't invite parents to contact her through FB on school matters, then it's overbearing and intrusive to do that. Teachers have the right to a personal life outside of school, so unless she invites you to "friend" her, you need to respect that. Unless I'm missing something--did she invite you to friend her?

For me, I've only ever "friended" students and their parents after I was no longer teaching at the school or they had graduated.

ReginaStar
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:43 AM

NO I don't know them like that. I have one of my old teachers as a friend but that is it. 

But I was friends with a teachers husband. I went to school with him. 

Jaliyah  My video here

MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Nope i don't like his first grade teacher. and i don't plan on being buddy buddy with the faculty. school and home are two different worlds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CassSpade
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

no, I would never. That is their personal space, I don't want them to feel guarded when they're making posts.

ambermario4ever
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM
A teachers Facebook is part of thier privet life you need to use the email the teacher provide you to use to contact them. If they wanted us to use thier face books they would give those to us as a way to contact them.
ms-superwoman
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

You should be using the email she provided. If she wanted to be Fb friends she would have said so. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN