Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Your child's teacher and Facebook

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Are you FB friends with your child's teacher?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 312

View Results

Are you friends on FB with your childs teacher? Do you expect to be? Does it matter what age your child is? ie: I'll be friends with childs teacher until she is in grade X. I have a kindergardener, and thought contact with the teacher would be pretty easy thru FB. Should I be 'bothering' her through there, or should I be using the email address she provided at the beginning of the school year?

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM
Replies (71-80):
Marimaru
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:10 PM

If they provided an email address at the beginning of the school year, leave them alone on facebook.  If you do friend them on facebook, don't use facebook to discuss school things. 

ambermarie2006
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Yes I am, I went to high school with her though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:13 PM
I still haven't deleted my myspace but heck its been so long since I got on I can't even remember the password. I had my little sister change both my fb and email address pws and secret questions to her answers and she is the only 1 who could ever access either lol.

Quoting thedathree:

Quoting Pink_Love:

lol I had a myspace and fb back a few years ago too. Omg yes though my sister and her husband have full out brawls over fb. It got so bad that he left and is in a different state now. She has their 3 kids and he didn't call in the begining for 3 weeks and she didn't know where he was. She asked him how he can just not call and see what his kids are doing.. He said " I don't need to capl to see what they're doing I can just look on your facebook page". But they had problems before too. She got married 7-7-7 bc she could only do it once and was going to use her tax returns to get a DIY divorce if it didn't work. And before that even he broke her nose while pregnant and gave her an std from cheating on her. they are crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bc19
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

It depends, I had several teachers that I had several times through out school and they became friends of the family. If this is your first year with her then no, I wouldnt add her on facebook. That is her private, personal page and I wouldnt bother her on it.

ceemuhreeashbee
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I am with her preschool teacher, but that's because it was a small town and she had known my mom for years.

But passed that, I would never friend request my child's teacher. I feel like they are entitled to a life outside of school, and don't need to feel like their personal life could be judged by a parent.

tsbeshears
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I might friend them after my child is out of their class. 

Threes.Company
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I am not and I would not want to be.

I think there is a professional line there.  It opens the door to you contacting the teacher about school issues in a non-school format.  I just don't think that is wise.  I would use the email provided by the school district so all communication can be tracked by the schools.

Also, I don't think it is in a teacher's best interest to make her life so public to the parents/families.  It's just not a good mix.  I am a former teacher.  I would not have accepted parents as friends on FB.  There is no way.  I had my account set to private and I made it so I couldn't be searched.

Melmac7819
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I am a teacher and I am FB friends with some of my students' parents. However, it is only the parents that I have actually become friends with over the year. I would never answer a school question on FB though. You need to email the teacher at the provided email address.

megan05
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

i was facebook friends with my child's preschool teacher.. she was awesome and by far the best teacher.. i hope my other 2 children get to have her as a teacher as well.. i however have not been friends with any other..so i guess it all depends

i also went on alot of the field trips with the children and took pics and would post them to facebook.. she wanted to me tag her and other parents who could not be there but see how it went

.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

no teacher but i don't think i would add my childs teacher

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN