Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

LO gags self with fingers

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM
  • 16 Replies
Urgent! Am worried this can be damaging to my babes throat. Every once in awhile mostly every day though, my 13 mo old will stick one to three fingers down his throat until he gags. It doesn't hurt him because hell do it over and over again. Then he cries when I pull his fingers out. He makes a gagging noise too. I'm worried he's hurting his insides of his throat but I'm hoping its just a self soothing thing like so many other little weird things he does.

Thanks so much ladies!
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:06 PM

my son did it a few times when he was a baby.  i figured it was just a cause and effect sort of thing he was working on.  he actually threw up a few times but the phase passed quickly.  i just continued to tell him "ouchies" so that's my only advice.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd hand him a teething ring and keep his nails clipped & filed, just in case.

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:20 AM
Yeah I tell him 'owch!' And 'no no' but he likes hearing me respond, no matter if its a good or bad response. Is this normal also? I feel like everything he does that he shouldn't, when i tell him its not ok, he does it more then stares at me while he's doing it!

And yes I always keep his nails clipped and the teething ring is usually what I try to replace his ba.ds with but he usually throws it Down and inserts his fingers again.
CrimsonGrace
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:22 AM
1 mom liked this
It is a phase, it will pass. Unless he makes himself throw up every time, it isn't going to hurt him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:34 AM

It's a phase. I have three boys and they've all done this.

I just tell them if they don't stop, they're going to puke. Eventually, they get bored with it and stop.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM

It's a phase.  My daughter did this for a couple of weeks as a small toddler.

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids did that too, they like seeing the reaction you do to them doing it.

Tnkmommy
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:10 PM
My oldest son used to do this all the time. Sometimes he would make himself throw up. The doctor told me to ignore it. Idk why he did it but it stopped when he got older.
tashntim
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My son started doing that after he accidentally did it one day and got a big reaction from me (I thought he was choking!!). I stopped giving him a reaction and he finally stopped after about 2 weeks of being ignored when he did it.

LuvUSoMuch
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:31 AM

My 23 month old grandson does that occasionally, too. Who knows why...Silly kids! He does it less now than he used to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)