Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Measuring Distance

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

This week I wanted to teach Esmeralda how to measure distance between objects and how to measure specific objects.  She always asks me to measure her, as well as her little brother, every time I pull out the measuring tape to do their monthly measurements so I decided to let my daughter have free range with the measuring tape.  It’s super simple and something most houses have on hand.

First she was interested in measuring how far the computer tower was from the floor and how tall mommy’s computer chair is.  Then she wanted to measure daddy but daddy told her no because he is currently rocking out to music in the kitchen to dishes.  Instead, I gave her the idea of finding all her baby dollies and measuring them to see how big they are!  Technically you can classify measuring height as distance too, as long as you use key terms and remind your child that she/he is measuring the distance between the floor and the top of his/her head (or whoever else is being measured).

http://www.homelearningjourney.com/measuring-distance/

by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2012 at 9:43 PM

That's fantastic :) :).  I have done stuff like this with Caden since he was little.  I never told him "no" he can't have stuff like measuring tape.  He's really good at measuring now :)

sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Good idea.

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:57 AM

OH, yeah.  In fact, for Caden's birthday we got him a measuring tape LOL.  He's been able to measure for a long time (even with cooking supplies).  His teacher is going to be floored that he alrady knows his fractions (and he's only in K LOL).

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:02 AM
I think I'll start this with dd! Thanks! I try to use every moment as a chance to learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM

You're very welcome. :)

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

I think I'll start this with dd! Thanks! I try to use every moment as a chance to learn.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)