Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

advise wecome

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
  • 11 Replies
my ds is 3, he is in preschool and is having a hard time remaining in his seat. I dont have any problems with this because he is doing great in everything else, but his teacher complains everyday. i have talked to him about it but now he seems to be overwhelmed.he comes home everyday saying i was bad today at school so now i feel like a total failure as mom and i feel like i have caused him to think his a bad boy. i think the teacher put to much pressure on him and i really dont know how to handle the situation.any adise?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AleaKat
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe try to create a game out if it, like the quiet game. Make it fun. Let the teacher know what uv come up with so she can use it if she needs to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuLuRex
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I was going to say something similar.

I think you can have a fun game at home so that it takes the pressure off of him a school!

Quoting AleaKat:

Maybe try to create a game out if it, like the quiet game. Make it fun. Let the teacher know what uv come up with so she can use it if she needs to.

mypbandj
by Jen on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Umm. He's 3? Not 13, right?

Why on earth is a 3 year old being told he's bad for not sitting in his seat? I'm sorry but that's absurd. I think the teacher has some unrealistic expectations. And they're damaging your sons self image and self esteem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

This is absolutely 100% what I was thinking.  I would NEVER allow someone to teach my child they are "bad" for any reason.  Certain behaviors might be undesirable but that doesn't make the child bad.  Don't stand for someone treating your child like this...

There may be some 3 year olds that can sit still and listen in the manner she is expecting but if she's qualified to be teaching this age group she should know that it is highly likely that there will be kids who cannot.  It is her job to work that problem and to have other tricks up her sleeve.  It sounds like she isn't a very good teacher for this age group and you may need to make some decisions about your child's well being...

Quoting mypbandj:

Why on earth is a 3 year old being told he's bad for not sitting in his seat? I'm sorry but that's absurd. I think the teacher has some unrealistic expectations. And they're damaging your sons self image and self esteem.

Beth (33) DH (38) Tyler (almost 6) Bayley (3)

PEEK05
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Well, he does need to learn how to sit in his seat.  However, he should not be told that he is bad for not listening.  This kind of behavior is to be expected.

freespirit18
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM
thank u, sometimes I second guess myself being this is my first mom experience.thats exactly how i feel

Quoting mypbandj:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Three year olds are too young to be expected to sit in their seat for extended amounts of time.  They develop that ability closer to kindergarten--it's one of the requirements for most districts for entry.

I would be having an immediate discussion with the "teacher" about the expectations being placed on him and his class.  I would determine how big an issue this is, then decide whether or not to keep my kid in that facility or move elsewhere.

Pre-school should be childcare with more emphasis on learning the basics.  But at this level it should be geared towards short lessons, very interactive, switching activites frequently.  All of this helps to keep them engaged.

JaronDMC
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I was a volunteer in my sons 3 year old preschool class. There was one boy who could not sit in his seat, the first few weeks of school. He would just get so excited about what the teacher was talking about he would jump up and try to run to the front of the class. We had a parent sit behind him and every time he started to jump up we would just touch his shoulders and remind him he stay in his seat. It got better after a few weeks. The mom was not very constant about bringing him to school which made it harder. But he was NEVER told he was a bad boy. He had several melt downs about other things and when that happened we would take him for a walk outside to claim down. She was an amazing teacher!! I would talk to the teacher it doesn't sound like she is dealing with this the right way. As a preschool teacher this should not be a new problem for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
freespirit18
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM
He loves his school , he is learning a lot and completes all the classroom work.He does get very excited about whatever activity they do.at his previous daycare center his teacher told me he was a leader.the teacher does not have any other complain about his behavior, so i think she is just giving to much importance to this issue.i know it is annoying but im pretty confident he will sit down when his ready.

Quoting JaronDMC:

I was a volunteer in my sons 3 year old preschool class. There was one boy who could not sit in his seat, the first few weeks of school. He would just get so excited about what the teacher was talking about he would jump up and try to run to the front of the class. We had a parent sit behind him and every time he started to jump up we would just touch his shoulders and remind him he stay in his seat. It got better after a few weeks. The mom was not very constant about bringing him to school which made it harder. But he was NEVER told he was a bad boy. He had several melt downs about other things and when that happened we would take him for a walk outside to claim down. She was an amazing teacher!! I would talk to the teacher it doesn't sound like she is dealing with this the right way. As a preschool teacher this should not be a new problem for her.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
truetigress
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow....hon he's three years old...why should she expect him to act older than he is? 3 years old? Sheesh! They just want to run around and play and explore...he's got so much energy.

As a teacher of this age group she should definitely know how to expect and deal with something like this.

I was shocked when I attended a school party for my first grader. Her teacher let all the kids run around the room and stand and stuff. As long as they got their studies done that did not seem to be much of a focal point in the room...That was 1st grade! So to expect that a child of three would be expected to sit in his seat seems so outrageous to me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN