Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Fever? Just not sure what I should do! UPDATE!

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM
  • 27 Replies
So yesterday when I picked dd up from grandmas she seemed fine. We ate dinner and right before bed she said her tummy hurt...not uncommon to try to stay up late. Well last night she woke up several times saying ouie. She does this when she is growing also.

So this morning she said her tummy hurt, but I assumed it was b/c she didnt eat a lot of dinner. She was acting fine through all of this keep in mind. Well I get a call saying she needed to be picked up from prek b/c she was throwing up and had the runs (around 2). When grandma gets there she gives her tylenol and tells get to take a nap. So it is 8:30 the tylenol is wearing off, had a slight fever 100.8, plus my in-home daycares kids just found our they have strep...so my ? Is would you miss work tomarrow if her fever does not get higher and seems fine? We are extremely short handed, a new guy starts tomarrow and so on. Grandma said she would take her (i would feel guilty to do this).

Update: I went to work for 2 hoursto cover appt. I picked dd up just after the rummage shop opened. We came home and around 2 she started screaming that her head was going to explode , I gave her tylenol (for pain) and took her to dr. she has strep.

when I picked ds up from basketball ge complained of his throat hurting. Guess we go back to dr today.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
twokids0407
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM
Sry so long and any misspelled words
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LMommy11
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:36 PM
If fever gets no higher and she seems fine other wise I would probably go to work. If I got there and they really didn't need me then I would attempt to leave early.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimberly161
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a hard one but typically the rule of thumb is no symptoms for 24 hrs before you let her go back to school. If grandma is offering to help, I'd take her up on her offer
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twokids0407
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Sry I should have added that grandma has a busy day tomarrow watching her 4 other cousins also...plus she would have my ds too b/c I dont want them to get step. But daycare will take them as long as dd is not throwing up...

Quoting kimberly161:

That's a hard one but typically the rule of thumb is no symptoms for 24 hrs before you let her go back to school. If grandma is offering to help, I'd take her up on her offer

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimberly161
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM
I agree

Quoting kimberly161:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FruitfulReward
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I think it's great if Grandma will take her.  If she is acting fine, it may not mean that she is fine.  My daughter is the toughest little girl I know.  She has had double ear infections, doesn't run a fever, keeps eating and playing and you would never know it until it starts to back up and run from her nose and eyes (sorry so graphic).  I say let her stay with grandma and watch her fever to make sure it goes down and she's really back to normal.  Give her tomorrow and see how she does.  I know we all hate to use family members sometimes, but it's for a good cause and if she's willing to help, please let her.  Good luck to you and I hope that your little one feels better :)

twokids0407
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Thanks, how high would you let it go and syill take get to grandmas? She just woke up screaming ouieee again, refuses her tylenol and fever up to 101.1, its been 45 min since she fell sleep the first time.

Quoting FruitfulReward:

I think it's great if Grandma will take her.  If she is acting fine, it may not mean that she is fine.  My daughter is the toughest little girl I know.  She has had double ear infections, doesn't run a fever, keeps eating and playing and you would never know it until it starts to back up and run from her nose and eyes (sorry so graphic).  I say let her stay with grandma and watch her fever to make sure it goes down and she's really back to normal.  Give her tomorrow and see how she does.  I know we all hate to use family members sometimes, but it's for a good cause and if she's willing to help, please let her.  Good luck to you and I hope that your little one feels better :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM
I would still take her to Grandma's.

Quoting twokids0407:

Thanks, how high would you let it go and syill take get to grandmas? She just woke up screaming ouieee again, refuses her tylenol and fever up to 101.1, its been 45 min since she fell sleep the first time.

Quoting FruitfulReward:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Our school is 24 hour fever free, so I could not send her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FruitfulReward
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I dont like it when my kids get a fever and it's pushing the 102 range.  I would definitely continue to push the tylenol with her.  Sometimes fevers can spike a little higher at night anyway.  I would consider that she stay with grandma.  I just read the other post that you had about grandma having other kids, that's a toughie and I'm sorry that you have to be faced with this decision.  I think it would be better just to let her have the comfort of being at home and let whatever she has run it's course.  If she's complaining again, I think you would just be getting a phone call from daycare again.  If she does get to the point where she doesn't eat or drink and she continues to have diarrhea and vomiting, she definitely will need a doctor's appointment.  I hate it when my kids get sick.  I'm a foster care social worker and it sucks to have so much going on at work and then have to take care of a sick child of your own.  Of course my kids come first but I understand the struggle that you are facing. 

Quoting twokids0407:

Quoting FruitfulReward:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN