Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

work or daycare?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

I have training to be a leasing consultant next thursday, its a temp agency so they will send me out on assignments. The biggest issue i have is they want me to be available from 9-6pm and some saturdays. My husband is getting deported and my family is no help.  My only options for daycare is one that is 25minutes from my house, or the other one is close but its not finished yet. So i  dont feel comfortable taking my kids there. I know i made a post abt this before, but the lady that my sister know really dont want to watch my kids. So i found another one that 25minutes away in the other direction, its kind of out in the country. My mom keeps telling me i need to get one close to her in case of an emergency but there arent any daycares with the hrs i need. So my mom then tells me "well that job is the problem" In reality i know it is, but right now thats the only option i have that pays pretty good.  My husband has been gone for 2 months and im down to nothing. But now im stuck thinking if i need to let this job opportunity go? 

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arkansasmama08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:18 PM
That's a tough one. If you like the
daycare and need the job, I say do it. If you don't trustbtre daycare and there's no others, you may want to look into working from home. Or maybe look for in home daycares. They tend to be more flexible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
That's hard. I'm not sure what I would do in your situation
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaMamiDeJase
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I love the one further out, but its kinds far to be driving. The one close by i dont really like it, let me post pics of the daycares.

....ClvrScn.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM
What's wrong with it? As long as the door is locked to the outside and alarmed on the inside -?
....ClvrScn.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Quoting LaMamiDeJase:

these are 3 of the rooms from the daycare that i dont like. It looks imcomplete and the rooms are small

Do they have kids there yet? What ages do they tend to? Call 211 and ask for licensed daycare referrals - if your child is 3 or 4 ask for referrals to universal pre kindergarten - look that up - wonderful program and it will save you money.

Look up laws on space in your state - ours is 35 square feet per child - I think it's 20 per child for infants that are under 12 months - not positive. Do they have a gross motor area ( gym , auditorium, or outside play area) , a daily lesson plan?
LaMamiDeJase
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I guess im comparing it to other daycares ive seen. To me its like she rushed to get it open, rather than spend more money to make it presentable. There is a little yard outside for the kids to play in. I guess all my complaints are minor lol 

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

What's wrong with it? As long as the door is locked to the outside and alarmed on the inside -?

....ClvrScn.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Quoting LaMamiDeJase:

This is the daycare i like 

This one is cute, but have you toured during class hours? What is their educational curriculum ? Do they work with area kindergartens? Provide transportation once your children are school aged?

What is the food policy? Can you observe class whenever you want? What is their sick policy? You don't want them to call you over a few coughs, but you do want them to call you for pink eye ya know?

Field trips? Late policy? Etc.
....ClvrScn.
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM
Quoting LaMamiDeJase:

Not if the yard is too little to accommodate am full class though - gross motor is imperative.

We all want what is best for our kids. I just pulled D's from a day care because the law in my state mandates that day cares report children that will need an iep to the board of education, for a early intervention referral and they were refusing to do so, even though I had doctors and myself telling them that they legally had to - they were morons.

I have toured 3 more in the past 2 weeks and I find something wrong with each of them ! One had some teenager working, who didn't even know what an iep is
LaMamiDeJase
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I think she said they have small classes probably to accomodate the small school. I do want the best, but im in a tough situation, i figure even if i put them there just for a few months. And since there arent that many kids my 2 1/2 yr old and 14m will be in the same class.  thats another thing that bothers me, but then again this is pretty much my only option. :/

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Quoting LaMamiDeJase:

Not if the yard is too little to accommodate am full class though - gross motor is imperative.

We all want what is best for our kids. I just pulled D's from a day care because the law in my state mandates that day cares report children that will need an iep to the board of education, for a early intervention referral and they were refusing to do so, even though I had doctors and myself telling them that they legally had to - they were morons.

I have toured 3 more in the past 2 weeks and I find something wrong with each of them ! One had some teenager working, who didn't even know what an iep is

LaMamiDeJase
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

She gave me a packet with the policies on it, she was very organize. But the physical form from that the dr is supposed to fill out, it looks like she printed a paper with her daycare on it and glued it on there and then copied it.  And the school is in a shopping plaza, on a busy road. They dont have any stars yet because she just opened a wk ago.

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Quoting LaMamiDeJase:

This is the daycare i like 

This one is cute, but have you toured during class hours? What is their educational curriculum ? Do they work with area kindergartens? Provide transportation once your children are school aged?

What is the food policy? Can you observe class whenever you want? What is their sick policy? You don't want them to call you over a few coughs, but you do want them to call you for pink eye ya know?

Field trips? Late policy? Etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)