Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

runny stuffy nose, 99.6 temp

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM
  • 13 Replies
Hi everyone. My son is 13 months and he's never even had the slightest fever before, no cold, allergies, sinuses, nothing. Never. I've also read up on anything and everything cold related since I was preg so that I'd be prepared. But now for some reason I'm stumbling over what I read and what to do. I haven't checked his temp yet because he seems like he's almost back to sleep and I do NOT want to wake him, but if he doesn't fall back asleep ill be taking it . His nose is very stuffy and runny and he keeps waking himself up because his nose is so stuffy and loud and draining down his throat. He hasn't napped all day which is completely unusual for him, he didn't nap yesterday either. He always naps. I'm worried cuz I've never been through this before.

Tried using the boogie sucker but he hates it and won't keep still, even when i got it in there a couple times, there's still so much left that it'd take an hour of sucking to get all the wet boogies out and he'd never sit through that. We have a dehumidifier too so should I use that? Hot steamy shower?
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HisBrwnEyedBaby
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Try the hot shower with him and keep an eye on his temp they like to skyrocket at night. It's probably just a viral infection. And mine always hated the boogie sucker too more than likely the boogies are still too far up in his sinus cavity to get yet. If he sneezes they'll come out trust me lol i now make sure I stay out of the line of fire when they're sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jamesmommy32404
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM
use the humidifier too...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Oct. 6, 2012 at 9:25 PM
I would definetly take him in the shower. It'll help clear out his nose some. Also use the humidifier. My DD has had these types of sinus issues since she was about 6 months old.

Another trick I use, it's odd but it works. Take Vicks baby vapor rub (has to be the baby one because of the age) put a light coat on the bottom of his feet and then put socks on. It should help with stuffiness and any chest congestion he may get from it dripping down his throat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

The humidifier and the vicks really help.  Prop him up in the crib so he can sleep better.

SimplyEnchanted
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Nose Frida is the best aspirator and the babies mind it the least. A shower would bee good and saline drops :)

T-Rentsmommy06
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM
This.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

The humidifier and the vicks really help.  Prop him up in the crib so he can sleep better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Thanks so much mama's! All great suggestions. After I posted this, he kept waking up every half hour fussin and hot but not sweaty. We did put the humidifier on last night but I didn't want to wake him for the shower, but I will this morning. Thank u all so much!
xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM
Quoting HisBrwnEyedBaby:

Try the hot shower with him and keep an eye on his temp they like to skyrocket at night. It's probably just a viral infection. And mine always hated the boogie sucker too more than likely the boogies are still too far up in his sinus cavity to get yet. If he sneezes they'll come out trust me lol i now make sure I stay out of the line of fire when they're sick.

Haha yeah everytime he sneezes it blows down his lips, ew. But he doesnt mind sneezing cuz it feels cool. Thanks for the advice though :)
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Aww mama, you will be fine.  Right now it just sounds like either a light cold or the start of a cold.  So far you are doing fine :).

If it does get bad and he's fussy, congested and/or refusing bottles/breast (because he can't breathe out of his nose), then I'd highly suggest saline nose spray and a product called "Baby Comfy Nose"

But whatever you are doing thus far to make him so healthy is awesome :)

corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Also, if he starts coughing, add some vick's vaporub to his feet with some socks over it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)