Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

HeLp!?!

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

My 3 year old has ODD and a SPD. He's a handful needless to say. He refuses to follow any directions whether BIG (don't run into the street) or LITTLE (clean up your toys). He's very aggressive and impulsive. He has a VERY short temper....tantrums are huge....he attacks others and himself (biting, hiting, throwing, kicking, etc). His temper is triggered very easily and it's difficult to get him to calm down. He fights everything...meals, bedtime, naptime, potty training, being nice to others....everything. I'm just so tired of fighting him, why does everything have to be a fight? 

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Mipsy
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:01 PM
I suggest a strict schedule and adhere to it. It can be overwhelming not knowing what activity is next in the day for kids. Try getting a big white board and getting pictures on magnets showing what will happen that day and when and show him as your day goes on "ok, we ate lunch and next it says we need to pick up our toys and take a nap" etc. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

We tried that....it doesn't help. 

Quoting Mipsy:

I suggest a strict schedule and adhere to it. It can be overwhelming not knowing what activity is next in the day for kids. Try getting a big white board and getting pictures on magnets showing what will happen that day and when and show him as your day goes on "ok, we ate lunch and next it says we need to pick up our toys and take a nap" etc. :)

Mommy2b2324
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM
My 3yr old is the same way and she has miiild cerebral palsy and a sensory issue as well. she fights every single thing and like to throw herself into walls and to.the floor, smashing her head HARD. she slaps and punches herself in the face, head and eye. she also scratches her eyes and ears open till they bleed. she is in therapy and I'm working on.getting her into a.child psychologist as well. try a medical blanket with him, it may help. for my daughter, her tantrums can last minutes to DAYS and usually have to end when she sees fit. there isn't much we have tried that helps calm her. good luck and hang in there I know how hard it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:12 PM

We took him to a child psychologist. That's where he got his current diagnosis. We are taking him to a specilist though to rule out a more significant issue. He also has a significant speech delay. His IQ test showed he was gifted in all areas except 2. The 2 he's not gifted in, he's significantly delayed in...they are ability to concentrate/focus and verbal reasoning. Could he be on the spectrum? He's got good social skills at school...he uses gestures, pretend plays, shares, seems to understand feelings/empathy.... So perhaps that means he can't be on the spectrum? 

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

My 3yr old is the same way and she has miiild cerebral palsy and a sensory issue as well. she fights every single thing and like to throw herself into walls and to.the floor, smashing her head HARD. she slaps and punches herself in the face, head and eye. she also scratches her eyes and ears open till they bleed. she is in therapy and I'm working on.getting her into a.child psychologist as well. try a medical blanket with him, it may help. for my daughter, her tantrums can last minutes to DAYS and usually have to end when she sees fit. there isn't much we have tried that helps calm her. good luck and hang in there I know how hard it is

Mommy2b2324
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM
I really have no idea what you mean by being on the spectrum. what is that? My daughter had delays but has progressed a lot but I would wager her verbal reasoning isn't so good either. she plays with other kids the same as you described your son and can pretend play also. but can be a bit bossy which I think.is more a personality/typical three year old thing. how did the psychologist go about evaluating him? What would I expect?

Quoting Nicholy10:

We took him to a child psychologist. That's where he got his current diagnosis. We are taking him to a specilist though to rule out a more significant issue. He also has a significant speech delay. His IQ test showed he was gifted in all areas except 2. The 2 he's not gifted in, he's significantly delayed in...they are ability to concentrate/focus and verbal reasoning. Could he be on the spectrum? He's got good social skills at school...he uses gestures, pretend plays, shares, seems to understand feelings/empathy.... So perhaps that means he can't be on the spectrum? 

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicholy10
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM

The spectrum is Austism or Asperbergs or Pervasive Developmental Disorder....those type of things. 

My child psych did little activities with my son to test his ability to focus, and cooperate. Then she did a special IQ test meant for kids. She also had me complete a CBCL (child behavior checklist) and had it scored, that told us a lot about him as well. 

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

I really have no idea what you mean by being on the spectrum. what is that? My daughter had delays but has progressed a lot but I would wager her verbal reasoning isn't so good either. she plays with other kids the same as you described your son and can pretend play also. but can be a bit bossy which I think.is more a personality/typical three year old thing. how did the psychologist go about evaluating him? What would I expect?

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Mommy2b2324
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok. thanks for the info I can use for my little one! Sorry I can't offer much advice as I'm still trying to figure out my own child's issues. hope you find some useful help

Quoting Nicholy10:

The spectrum is Austism or Asperbergs or Pervasive Developmental Disorder....those type of things. 

My child psych did little activities with my son to test his ability to focus, and cooperate. Then she did a special IQ test meant for kids. She also had me complete a CBCL (child behavior checklist) and had it scored, that told us a lot about him as well. 

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Quoting Nicholy10:

Quoting Mommy2b2324:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)