Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

still not sleeping through the night

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son will be 2 and 1/2 this December. He goes down fine in his crib at a normal time however wakes every 2-3 hours. I can get him back down however he will wake again. He sleeps like an infant waking often throughout the night. We have tried EVERYTHING from different methods in books to our own methods. Nothing works, he is not hungry, thirsty, cold, hot, not teething...he just wants us. He is a floppy sleeper and we think has bad dreams:(. My husband ends up taking him in the guest room at 12 or 1, sometimes later and sleeping with him in there just so we both can get some sleep. Once he is in there, he sleeps great!

Any suggestions? We are wondering how long this will last and when he will start sleeping through the night! Also, he is on a pretty normal schedule throughout the day, in terms of naps, breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc.

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CLEKate
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Why are you taking him out of his bed?  The only way to break him of the habit is to stop reinforcing the behavior.  Make him sleep in his own bed.  What happens when he wakes?  Have you tried just leaving him alone when he wakes so he can learn to setlle himself?

othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM

We ended up having to use cry itout for our daughter with minimal interaction once she started to do better. She will be 3 this month and sometimes does wake up but usually we just have to give her her cup or blanket.

deccaf
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 PM
With dd, we just let it run its course. She finally started sleeping through in August, at almost 2. It's like one night, it just clicked. Now she only wakes once in a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
echupko
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:11 PM
My 3 1/2 year old still wakes up 3-4 tims a night. He has horrible nightmares a lot :-( its sad. He talks a lot in his sleep too. And he always has to pee at least once (and yes he goes before bed)

He wakes up even if he sleeps with us. He has never been a good sleeper.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yellownes8
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:17 PM
My 3 year old just started sleeping through the night...she used to wake up anywhere from 3 to 10x a night. It was exhausting. I just let it run it's course.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Does he have a sound machine, stuffies, or other things to help soothe him?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
With our dd we took her to the store and had her pick out a stuffed animal that was cuddly and would make her feel safe (she picked a tiger). We explained that if she woke up and felt scared or like she wanted to cuddle to grab Mr. Roar and snuggle on him. We also explained that Mr. Roar needs her cuddles to help him sleep as well and I think it really helped her to self soothe. She was about 2.5 at the time and she started staying in bed without fussing all night. :) GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophiesmom07
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM

You poor thing.  Have you tried letting him cry?  My son sometimes wakes up and cries for a bit and goes right back to sleep. I never take him out of the crib.  Have you spoken to your pediatrician?  As a last resort, you can try Melatonin, it's natural and is supoosed to help with sleep. Discuss with your pediatrician.

itsm3
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this

this. when you reinforce this behaviour, it becomes habitual and because of that, he's waking out of habit.  

Quoting CLEKate:

Why are you taking him out of his bed?  The only way to break him of the habit is to stop reinforcing the behavior.  Make him sleep in his own bed.  What happens when he wakes?  Have you tried just leaving him alone when he wakes so he can learn to setlle himself?

MusicMuse1991
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

this

Quoting itsm3:

this. when you reinforce this behaviour, it becomes habitual and because of that, he's waking out of habit.  

Quoting CLEKate:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)