Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

What to eat?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter is at that weird stage where she wants to feed herself, but when we take that route, all she does is snack all day. What do you feed your toddler?

Keep in mind: My daughter has still not mastered the silverware yet, and she is allergic to carrots. 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
corrinacs
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

My best suggestion is to let her snack.  That's the way humans are supposed to eat to be honest.  Just make sure you leave out healthy snacks (liek vegetables, etc). 

Just be careful.  Is it just carrots or is it all root veggies?  Sometimes they can be allergic to the entire family, which makes thigns hard :/.

zolanmel
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Limit the snacks as much as possible. And let her practice with silverware the only way she will learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I agree with this too :).  And it may be messy in the beginning, but that's how they learn to eat ;).

Quoting zolanmel:

Limit the snacks as much as possible. And let her practice with silverware the only way she will learn.

Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I started my kids on the gerber food (not the baby food). They make some great snacks. They have dinners to heat up too but they can be a bit messy but my kids ate them before they were able to use silverware. I got them at Target in the baby department.

fordmama83
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I do let her practice with silverware when she's eating spaghettios and stuff like that. And I know we're supposed to snack, but I feel like letting her do this all she gets is snacks, and nothing healthy.

And she's only allergic to carrots. Such a weird, and difficult, allergy.

PEEK05
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

If you think it's nothing healthy, then only offer healthy foods outside of meal times.  My kids eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  In between each meal, they get a snack of fresh fruits and/or veggies, whole grain crackers, and my son loves non-dairy cheese so he will get that sometimes too.  That way they can eat without having to worry that they are eating junk.

Quoting fordmama83:

I do let her practice with silverware when she's eating spaghettios and stuff like that. And I know we're supposed to snack, but I feel like letting her do this all she gets is snacks, and nothing healthy.

And she's only allergic to carrots. Such a weird, and difficult, allergy.

fordmama83
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 4:51 PM

It's hard in general to find foods...She likes yogurt, which she gets almost every day because she gets such bad yeast infections when she's on antibiotics, but I have to watch the contents, because some yogurts use vegetable juice. She gets things like cheese, graham crackers, yogurt, bananas, and stuff like that. Rarely does she get cookies and candy, unless she's at grandma's. Grandma feels the need for soda, chocolate milk, strawberry milk, and junk food. She is underweight, but I'd like to keep her healthy, not let her get fat by all the junk. But there are carrots in so many foods! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN