Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Kindergarten quiet time? (Long post sorry!!)

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

My son is 4, he started pre-k this yr and he was doing great... Let me mention that he stopped taking naps when he was 2, hes never been in a classroom setting, and hes been with me(as im a stay at home mom) since he was born so no need for daycare. He plays with out kids great hes just not used to being a classroom all the time and listening to strangers. 
He did bad the first week then great the next few weeks took a nap almost every day! He has 2 teachers (very different from one another) ms. M and ms. V. Ms. V and my son do very well together she understands he will have trouble at nap time sometimes and think he should work at it and hell get it. On the other hand Ms. M doesnt want to work with him and told me if i can get him before its nap time!! I was shocked that a teacher asked me this first of all but i agreed, only because this is my sons first yr at school and i want him to have the best experience possible, and i dont want him to think he teacher is anoyyed with him bc he doesnt want to sleep.  So your probably saying well he doesnt have to take a nap but just lay their quietly! For my 4 yr old its very hard bc hes very active. and he does lay there but before the hr and a halfs up he gets bored.. they used to let him do activities at the beginning but now they dont.  And to make matters worse its where they have him located. He is right beside the teachers desk and on the other side it a toy shelf, (on the other side of the toy shelf is a child) They say he kicks to shelf and that he plays with all the toys.  Ok so i told them to move him! thats obviously not a good place for him. He does better in corners where theres not much movement and they said they would try it.. but i dont think they did bc he is in the same spot when i go get him early!! So i agreed i would come get him at 1 instead of 2:15 i think its whats best for him at the momement and maybe as the yr goes on i can keep him there longer but im not stressing it, hes only 4! and this teacher is expecting to much from him! and its saddens me that she is just giving up bc she doesnt have the time for him. but its her job!! ANWAYS Soo sorry for my rambling post ansd thank you for reading!! 

My questions is i know every school district is different but Do they have nap time in kindergarten. I have heard its only 30 minutes but ive also heard up to 2 hrs!! which is insane to me

THANK YOU! 

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
corrinacs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Oh wow.  I would speak with the teachers again.  How much time is he missing after nap when you have to pick him up early?  If its quite a bit of time, I'd definitely fight for them to do something about it,.

The good news is that my son is in K and they do not have naptime.  He gave up his naps when he wasn't even 2, so I feel you there :/.

When he was in preschool where they did have naptime, the director would grab Caden and let him play quietly in her office while his friends napped.  He wasn't a troublesom kid though, even at naptime.  She just wanted to spend that time with him and it worked out quite well.

But they should allow him to do something quietly.  Why  can't he play with toys?  Why  can't he read books or something, as long as its quiet?  I find nothing wrong iwth that at all!

If they dont' want to help, then I'd go a step above them and speak with the director/principal.  Hopefully they can get you squared away.

Nichole0403
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM
My sons preK doesn't have a nap time. It's only a half day though. Most all days preschools and daycares I'm pretty sure they do have nap time. It really isn't fare but if he is being too much of a distraction it's not fare for all the other kids trying to nap. They really should find him something to do quietly and away from the other kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Wendsdy
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My Daughter started kindergarten this year. This is the first year they haven't had nap time. I asked the teacher about it because I had read on their website that they had naptime and I was concerned because it wasn't in the paperwork I received and the website said I should buy a mat. The teacher said it was dropped a few weeks before school started and she sounded pretty annoyed with it. I'm kind of happy because I kept thinking...how do you get a group of 5 year olds to be quiet and sleep all at the same time. Sounds impossible to me. I figured my kid would be getting in trouble daily. She is very active and NEVER stops talking.  I guess they changed it to "quiet time" and they listen to stories.  I don't think its very realistic to expect a 4 year old to sleep...expecially when you put him next to the toys. I would try talking to the teachers again. Word it like "what can WE do"  If the teacher thinks you are wanting to help HER, maybe she would be more likely to help your son. Its bad that you would have to do that but whatever gets your son what you and him need. Good Luck!

madreincreible
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Thank you! i believe so also... hes not missing anything after nap time all hes missing is snack time they are up fro maybe 10 minutes before i go pick him up. Thats awesome that they let him play in their office! i just wish they would even let him sit in the corner and play or read books but they make him lay on his cot and they wont move his cot even after they said they would try!

madreincreible
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:42 PM

BUMP!

kjbugsmom1517
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:47 PM
IIn kindergarten here they have quiet time its about 20 to 30 mins and not everyone goes to sleep. Seems like most of his day is a nap time. R u paying for this? Id find a diff program more suitable for him. Our prek is half day so no naps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
huskermom98
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

When my son was in Kindergarten it was just a rest time in the afternoon (don't know how long) but it was only for the first couple of months because the nap towel we sent in with him was sent home long before Halloween.

My boys only did/do morning preschool (and never a pre-K) but it seems a little odd to expect 4yos to nap for 1.5 hours...while you are possibly paying for  it!  My oldest was done napping at 2 and the only reason my youngest napped until just after turning 3 was that I didn't take his binkie away like I did with DS1...but as soon it was gone he stopped napping.  If you are paying for this Pre-K I would talk with the teachers, but if you aren't and it doesn't upset your schedule I'd just pick him up before nap and be done for the day.

holmes212
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Ds has nap time at school but its only for 30 mins
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mena929
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

No nap time in K for my kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)