Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

NON schedule moms-i dont have a schedule for my 1 yr old

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM
  • 41 Replies
Hello ladies . This question is more for the small minority of moms who don't use planned schedules for everything in their toddlers life, though I'm sure ill get lash from schedule oriented moms too...

My son is 13 months and we've never really had a set nap schedule, eating schedule, etc. Our morning routine has always been the same but throughout the day I don't plan nap times or meal times. It works for us, mostly, but I'm just wondering how many of you do the same and if its had any negative outcomes so far in your toddlers moods, activities, etc. I've read tons and tons about schedules being important for little ones so theyll know what to expect, but my toddler doesn't seem to mind. the reason Its like this is because after he grew out of the infant stage (feed for 10 mins, sleep for three hours, so on ) , he never really stuck on certain nap times. Our family doesnt have a set meal time ever since my parents got divorced when I was 12. My ma and i eat when were hungry, but we still get in the three meals a day and still sit at the table as a family. He eats when we eat unless Of course he's hungry before. And his bedtime routine only consists Of reading Goodnight Moon then being swaddled and nursed to sleep. He loves this, it works. I'm just needing reassurance this won't impact him negatively because so far the families that do the same as us are just fine and their kids are a little older now and they go to bed the same time and take their one nap the same time.

Oh another thing, his bed time is Pretty consistent unless he refuses to sleep , which he's been doing a lot since he discovered walking and babbling.
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lfig720
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I've never had him on a schedule, my DS is 22 months.  For a very long time he was very consistent, always napped at same time, went to bed at same tme.  Last month or two though he's been napping less, and going to bed later and waking up at random times between 7 and 9.  He just started early intervention for some speech and social delays and I am thinking that I might have to start a schedule just to make sure that he's up and ready for his sessions and getting good sleep.

mommaFruFru
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't do schedules, even my school aged kuds. The mist cinstiant thing is wakeup time. Bedtime is a 2hr window
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CocolateLady
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:03 PM
No set schedule here either and it works for my almost 3yr old son.
Nap time is between 12-3 everyday, but some days he does not take a nap and goes to bed around 7-8 instead of the 9-10
I am a full time SHAM
crochetmom07
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:08 PM
My boys have never had a schedule. I follow their clues on everything. We still have meals together, and they go to bed around the same time, but everything isn't planned. I tried schedules a couple times, but they just didn't work for us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KoriLovesYou
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I didn't really plan a schedule with my DD but she set one by herself... She gets upset if I mess with her schedule. So, I do pretty much the same thing you do, i guess...

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Quoting lfig720:

I've never had him on a schedule, my DS is 22 months.  For a very long time he was very consistent, always napped at same time, went to bed at same tme.  Last month or two though he's been napping less, and going to bed later and waking up at random times between 7 and 9.  He just started early intervention for some speech and social delays and I am thinking that I might have to start a schedule just to make sure that he's up and ready for his sessions and getting good sleep.

It sounds like it worked for you so far though? And if you didn't have to start these sessions you wouldn't have to start setting a schedule right? Good Luck with the intervention , I've never really seen it not work for kiddos that need it. Xo
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:50 AM
i had twins so i had to have schedule.if not i would get no rest.
C.S.K.L
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:18 AM

i started a schedule when my oldest daughter had turned 3, i noticed once she was on the schedule she became way more independent and confident. shes now 8 and has a 6yr brother, 23mth sister and 2mth brother, they all grew up with the same schedule and i got the same results. not to mention it just makes the day go more smoothly, especially after working 3rd shift

xxshelbyxxx
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Quoting crochetmom07:

My boys have never had a schedule. I follow their clues on everything. We still have meals together, and they go to bed around the same time, but everything isn't planned. I tried schedules a couple times, but they just didn't work for us.

Yeah I started doing that when he was an infant, following the Signs cues for when he's tired, fussy, hungry, uncomfortable, teething etc and it's always worked for us. A set schedule never fitted him, so I'm super glad to hear I'm not the only one following this 'rule' .. thanks! :)
arkansasmama08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:32 AM
I would love a more lax routine, but my kids NEED schedule to thrive. My oldest 2 are autistic and have to know what's going to happen when. They get very upset and it throws off their whole day if we mess it up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)