Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

when controlled crying doesnt work-because she can make herself puke.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM
  • 26 Replies

yep it does say makes herself puke.  I have recently made the mistake of letting my toddler come to sleep in my room in the middle of the night, because I was too tired to put her back to bed.  This resulted in her falling down the stairs one night while she was coming to find me.  So the next few days she acted scared to sleep alone, so I would lay in my bed with her.  Then she would lay in her room but only if we laid our heads down on the bed and leave when she fell alseep.  Now if she wakes up and you are gone she comes crying to find me.  A few nights ago I decided this was enough and I was going to let her cry it out and try controlled crying technique.  That did not work.  2 days in a row trying this she made herself puke within 3 mins of crying.  She screamed and cried like I had never heard and then started to gag and puked all over.  What do I do now.  She can make herself puke. OMG.  We have started to make sure no food or drink 1-2 hours before bed, but for now we are still laying with her until she is asleep and waking up around 3 am to her climbing in my bed.  I cant lay in her bed it is a toddler bed so will not hold me.  HELP.  I just need to know what else to do since I cant obviously let her lay in her vomit.

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommieof3_752
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM

OMGoodness Hon......I dont really know. I started this with my 2 yr old when he was about 11 months old and he still sleeps with me. I dont have the ability to let him cry and it wouldnt matter if i did b\c he just gets outta bed everytime I lay him down and comes back in my room. If you find out a way to make this work, god plz let me know. Is she gagging herself or is it just from screaming

calvinsmommy18
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:46 AM
How old is she? Ds gags but doesn't puke when he gets really upset from crying. But it takes a while for him to get so riled up. Ds also doesn't really like to sleep in his own room. Seems like bedtime works easier when just daddy is home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lruggio
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:38 AM

clean up the vomit and put her back to bed.  what is the big deal.

alisandrasmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:36 AM
She is 2 years old. And can just gag once and puke. I have cleaned it up and put her back but by the time i get her, her bed, the floor and whatever else was hit cleaned she is wide awake and wont stay in bed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I have no idea.  My kids have never done this so here is a bump.

.Angelica.
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:23 PM

my son used to need for me to stay by his bed while he fell asleep. and when/if he woke up at night I would do it again. I can't do CIO. he is 5 now and i've been able to just put him in bed and leave for a few years now.

Bieg9093
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:39 PM
1 mom liked this

One thing I've learned...if you let her use the puke as a weapon then she'll use it.  So if you decide the answer is no, then change to yes after she pukes, she will puke often.  Lots of kids do it.  Tell her not to do that anymore, clean it up if she does, but don't let the behavior make your decisions for you.  (it's the same with kids who cry until they pass out, btw.)

As for the sleeping in your bed thing...what always worked for us was letting a sick kid into the bed, but once they felt better then they could choose their own bed or our floor.  It didn't really matter to me what they chose.  Sometimes they'd sleep on the floor for a day or two, then go back to their own beds.

Good Luck!

Bieg9093
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Oh...and put a bunch of old sheets/towels down on the floor for easier clean-up.

Brandy85412
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Gosh that's a hard one! Most nights we will lay with with our 2 year old its a toddler bed but but I or dh can lay with her in it until she falls asleep. She will wake during the night I just put her back. I don't think there is a "cure" for not waking up. I just hope she out grows it.

Kris_PBG
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I can't imagine putting my kiddo through that... :(

"The No Cry Sleep Solution" is a great book that may really help you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)