Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

My 2yr old woke up screaming.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM
  • 14 Replies
So about 45 minutes ago my son woke up screaming and kicking violently. He was in bed with us so I tried to hold him but he just freaked. He's not talking now so I tried to get him to point. He just pointed at the air. I couldn't tell for sure if he was scared or in pain.

My conclusion is that his legs must have been hurting. I went through it as a kid, my oldest daughter went though it and still does. I've got him in the couch with a bottle, cartoons, and a hearin pad. My dd's had her own heatig pad since she was 2. I guess he needs one now. I hope I'm wrong. It was terrible for me and still is sometimes. and I has a 6mo old. Will she hurt too?

Sorry so long. I just needed to share this somewhere. My poor babies. I know it could be worse but I hate seeing them in pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
What does the pain stem from?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Could it have been a night terror?

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:33 AM
I haven't gotten far with doctors or anything. They all say growing pains. My kids aren't old enough to communicate well. From my experience the best I can tell is it's deep in the muscle. Sometimes the pain is more intense and sort of radiating into the mid parts of the legs. Both thigh and calf. I want to say the pain is even in the bones because it's such a deep pain but I don't think so. I'm quite certain it's muscular and constant movin or stretching and rubbing are as close to relief as I could ever get aside from a heating pad. I personally have tried dietary changes and different meds. It's much better now that I'm older. So far I can only assume its the same for the kids. I try to talk to my 5yr old but she's not good at telling me good details just yet.

Quoting Pink_Love:

What does the pain stem from?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM
I thought that. But normaly when he's scared he wants me to hold him. He kept kicking, tensing up all his leg muscles, and screaming. He just seemed more in pain and less scared. And even after we came down stairs with light and everything he kept going. After the heating pad and rubbing his legs, and a small dose of Motrin he started calming down. He's back in bed now.

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM

There is a difference between nightmares and night terrors.  You should look up what a night terror is. 

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

I thought that. But normaly when he's scared he wants me to hold him. He kept kicking, tensing up all his leg muscles, and screaming. He just seemed more in pain and less scared. And even after we came down stairs with light and everything he kept going. After the heating pad and rubbing his legs, and a small dose of Motrin he started calming down. He's back in bed now.

Quoting PEEK05:

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM
I have. And I'm not dismissing it totally. It's just everything going on was exactly like what I've been though and my dd. his heart wastn' raicing, he wasn't short of breath etc. I've researched night terrors before and I'll take a second look when I get a chance but his behavior continued for a good 45min. so that's why I'm leaning towards pain. But then again he's only 2 and can't tell me for sure. So I could be wrong.

Quoting PEEK05:

There is a difference between nightmares and night terrors.  You should look up what a night terror is. 

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

Quoting PEEK05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieof3_752
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 11:44 AM

My 7 yr ols sleeps with a heating pad and she has since she was 2. the doctor  thinks its growing pains. Sometimes she just lays there and crys, I feel so bad for her. the heating pad does seem to work alittle.....and mommy holding her...lol...lots of hugging and holding... I hope it will get better for yours and mine.

corrinacs
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I am with PEEK05.  What you describe sounds like a night terror and in his kicking response may have gotten himself a charlyhourse.  Glad you were able to calm him down and put a heating pad.  I'd rub his leg too :).  Is he saying anything else about the incident?

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM
He's barely talking. So he doesn't communicate well at all. He just turned 2 last month. He did toss and turn a lot last night. Would he have gotten a charley horse in both legs? Would it have lasted that long? I don't know. I wish he could tell me exactly what was going on

Quoting corrinacs:

I am with PEEK05.  What you describe sounds like a night terror and in his kicking response may have gotten himself a charlyhourse.  Glad you were able to calm him down and put a heating pad.  I'd rub his leg too :).  Is he saying anything else about the incident?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Ny 5 y/o complains about leg pain quite often and has for some time. I think it coincides with growth spurts.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)