Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Beddy by time

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM
  • 9 Replies
How do i get my two yr old to stop wanting to sleep in our bed? At night he will walk in here and ill walk him back to bed tuck him in and kiss his forehead. that happens about 6-8 times a night and then i give in cause i am tired. Help please!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:39 AM
He is battling for control and every time you give in, he wins. You have to be 100% persistant. It will take awhile so a suggestion, 1st few nights stay in the room until he falls asleep, next few nights move closer to the door until he is asleep, every few nights move further away from his room until he is asleep and used to being in his own room. It is a battle of will and control, remember you are mom, and this is one of those battles you must endure and win. It is exhausting, daunting, and sucks, but it's one you must win or slowly you will lose all control and he will be the one running the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Thank you.
He shares a room with his big brother. i would figure he would sleep because big brother is..another thing he will sleep in his bed till the middle of the night then sneak into ours. so is that when i should stay in there till he goes to bed?!

Quoting Pink_Love:

He is battling for control and every time you give in, he wins. You have to be 100% persistant. It will take awhile so a suggestion, 1st few nights stay in the room until he falls asleep, next few nights move closer to the door until he is asleep, every few nights move further away from his room until he is asleep and used to being in his own room. It is a battle of will and control, remember you are mom, and this is one of those battles you must endure and win. It is exhausting, daunting, and sucks, but it's one you must win or slowly you will lose all control and he will be the one running the house.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babowes
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Do it 10 to 12. Each night for 21 days if needed. You will win if u r patience. Just bring a god book and a fash light or sit in the dark.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM
When you put him down to go to bed and middle of the night if need be. When you tuck him in the first time do your normal goodnight routine (kiss, tucking him, so forth) after that when he gets up either don't say anything at all or at most say "It's time for sleep, good night" don't answer question or try explaining, just keep it simple, and very calm. When he gets up in the morning, be excited and let him know you are proud of him for sleeping in his room and being a big boy. Eventually he will realize -getting up does no good so I might as well stay put, and when I do I see it makes mom happy.- If he looks up to his brother, when he gets up add in "You were a big boy just like ----- aren't you proud!" I'd even throw his big brother in and have his brother tell him how happy it makes him to have the company in dream land.

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Thank you.

He shares a room with his big brother. i would figure he would sleep because big brother is..another thing he will sleep in his bed till the middle of the night then sneak into ours. so is that when i should stay in there till he goes to bed?!

Quoting Pink_Love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM
Awesome. thank you :)

Quoting Pink_Love:

When you put him down to go to bed and middle of the night if need be. When you tuck him in the first time do your normal goodnight routine (kiss, tucking him, so forth) after that when he gets up either don't say anything at all or at most say "It's time for sleep, good night" don't answer question or try explaining, just keep it simple, and very calm. When he gets up in the morning, be excited and let him know you are proud of him for sleeping in his room and being a big boy. Eventually he will realize -getting up does no good so I might as well stay put, and when I do I see it makes mom happy.- If he looks up to his brother, when he gets up add in "You were a big boy just like ----- aren't you proud!" I'd even throw his big brother in and have his brother tell him how happy it makes him to have the company in dream land.

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Thank you.

Quoting Pink_Love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM
And no matter what, do not let him know you are frustrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

you could also try a reward chart? every night he stays in bed he gets a sticker after a week  he gets a gift. We tried everything with our son and just found that letting him decided when he wanted to sleep in his own room worked best for us. We started with bedtime in his own room and after a few months he started staying in his room all the time. 

MrsMetalMama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM
Got it :)

Could another issue be that the boys go to bed at 8 and hubby get home and they don't see him?! And we don't go to bed?!

Quoting Pink_Love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Love
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
It's possible. When dh comes home after bed time he will send me a "good night" video from his phone for each of the kids. If he forgets to do that they will wake up to a letter he wrote (I have to read it to them).

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Got it :)

Could another issue be that the boys go to bed at 8 and hubby get home and they don't see him?! And we don't go to bed?!

Quoting Pink_Love:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN