Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

naps.UPDATE

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM
  • 10 Replies
My 2 yo on at least half the week refuses to nap. I put him to bed at the same time evry day and at least half the time he yells no at me every 5 to 10 mins. He doesnt scream or cry he just stands or sits there and yells no. When do toddlers normally stop naps. And how do i break him of this not sleeping habit. He always is super tired and cranky when he doesnt nap and it drivea me nuts.

Update: he has starting climbing out and in of his crib. We're converting him to his toddler bed this weekend when dh has a day off so he can do it. His toys are always put up before naptime but he always pulls them out and plays with them. We have a baby gate at his door so he can't get out. He always climbs ut plays for 10 mins then back in and repeats. I let him come out since I don't want him climbing in and out cuz I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. How do I break this habit cuz come 3 he's cranky and exhausted so I know he still needs his naps. He also has 2 canines that just broke the gums last week. Could that be why he's not napping ? All this started about a week or 2 before the teeth came in.
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaddiesMama09
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM
All kids are different. My DD will be 4 in February and she still takes a 60-90 minute nap every day. Some kids drop their naps earlier. Will he just do quiet time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sillytime
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
They get that way sometimes but honestly they still need their naps! My 4yo is napping now and her brother 5yo naps on the weekends because he's in school now! Children need naps for growth and over all health! Two is too young to stop napping IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM
all kids are different when it comes to dropping naps. I would guess 3 ish is probably average. My dd is 3 and still naps as does my almost 6 year old son. He went thru a nap strike once but I just kept the routine the same every day and eventually I got him back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM
Im not saying im going to. I know he ness those naps he gets to cranky. I put him in his crib and if he sleeps good if not he sits there till he normally wakes up. I was just wondering when kids stopped naps. And how i can break him of this not napping problem.

Quoting sillytime:

They get that way sometimes but honestly they still need their naps! My 4yo is napping now and her brother 5yo naps on the weekends because he's in school now! Children need naps for growth and over all health! Two is too young to stop napping IMO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM
Im doing that but hes been doing this for about 3 week's now. Hes up there yelling oww right now. How long did it take for you son to off his nap strikes?

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

all kids are different when it comes to dropping naps. I would guess 3 ish is probably average. My dd is 3 and still naps as does my almost 6 year old son. He went thru a nap strike once but I just kept the routine the same every day and eventually I got him back!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xoxRachelxox
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

All three of my boys gave up napping at a year and a half. There was nothing I could do. They would not sleep.

Some kids just give them up early. I wish they'd nap sometimes but nope.

Luvmy2babies22
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM
A month or more. I also lay with him until he falls asleep. I use it as my time for a 30 min nap and then I leave after he's asleep and get another chunk of quiet. On days he's just not tired enough to sleep I'll put the portable DVD player in his room and let him watch a short video so at least he'll be in bed resting.

Quoting Hanab818:

Im doing that but hes been doing this for about 3 week's now. Hes up there yelling oww right now. How long did it take for you son to off his nap strikes?

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sillytime
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM
I think 6 is when they naturally give it up all together! Maybe he's not quite tired when you put him down. Or the opposite over tired! Try switching up the routine a bit maybe go for a long walk or playground before he goes down! No sugar in the morning helps too! GL I'm sorry if I offended you! Just trying to help

Quoting Hanab818:

Im not saying im going to. I know he ness those naps he gets to cranky. I put him in his crib and if he sleeps good if not he sits there till he normally wakes up. I was just wondering when kids stopped naps. And how i can break him of this not napping problem.

Quoting sillytime:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hanab818
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
No offence taken. He goes to the stairs and pulls at the gate and says mama night night when hes tired. Which is almost like clock work everyday. Right after his snack and before lunch around 1130. Some times he will nap other times he will sit there and stare at the wall yelling no.

Quoting sillytime:

I think 6 is when they naturally give it up all together! Maybe he's not quite tired when you put him down. Or the opposite over tired! Try switching up the routine a bit maybe go for a long walk or playground before he goes down! No sugar in the morning helps too! GL I'm sorry if I offended you! Just trying to help

Quoting Hanab818:

Quoting sillytime:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by Angie on Oct. 9, 2012 at 4:15 PM

my son quit napping at 22 months.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)