Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So here lately we've been trying to do some basic homeschooling with DD1. She's 3.5 this month.

She pretty much knows her ABCs, numbers, shapes, and colors, so I'm working on her tracing her letters so she can get an idea of writing, how the pencil feels in her fingers, etc.

I found a bunch of printables and we've only done the letters A, B, and C. Well, that sounds like there's no issues, but DD takes the pencil, tries to trace, and the minute she can't get it, starts screaming and saying "I CAN'T DO IT!!" and begins scribbling all over the paper, ruining it. To say she's a perfectionist is an understatement, I think.

She's always saying "I can't do it!" (I'm not sure why, really). Is there any way I can continue to encourage her to trace her letters without throwing in the towel immediately? Is it me? Even when she gets CLOSE to the letter, I tell her what an amazing job she's doing. Maybe she would do better in a classroom?

HELP! :(

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM
Replies (11-12):
RheaF
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Take it slow, maybe step away from the worksheets for a while? Get a tray of sand, or salt and let her trace the letters in that with her finger first. Or a gallon sized baggie filled with colored shaving cream. I homeschool, and have since DD was in pre-k. We took things slow at first, and she eventually got the hang of it. She is now 7(turned 7 in Sept.) and is halfway through the second grade, and can write in both manuscript and cursive. She also reads on a 5th grade level. She was also the child who would not sit for more than 2 minutes, and who I could not bribe to do a worksheet when she was 3 1/2,lol.

Be patient, it will come.

My DS will be 4 in December, and has only recently shown an interest in anything to do with "school". So I make games for him. Everything is hands on and game oriented. The key to homeschooling is finding what works for each child. At the moment, for DD it is worksheet, projects, reports, etc. For DS it is games and hands on....everything,lol.

HarrisonMD
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Am trying to do the same thing with my DD as well but she's not ready yet, lol, she's only 2.5...mostly just letting her hold crayons and pencils for fun, she actually balks at coloring sometimes...BUT with my nephew, when he was living with us for a while, we did a dry run on tracing and I had some letter stencils with Letters and Numbers...HE LOVED IT! So we just made it a game or artwork with different colored pens and construction paper...He's in preschool now and loves to write his letters...I'd like to think his Auntie had a hand in that...hehehe!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)