Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

A day in the life of a toddler mom

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have two boys, ages 4 and 2.  I work part time and am just curious if other moms have as much of a hectic day on average as I do. A typical day when I have to work goes like this: Wake up at 6 a.m., get ready for work, try to entertain the kids when they wake up so I can finish my makeup, get the boys dressed, cook breakfast, clean and get out of the door by 8 a.m. Drop them off at daycare, work until 5 p.m. (squeeze in a workout at noon), go home, hubby always cooks dinner when I work b/c he gets the boys at 4, eat dinner, clean up dinner, play with the boys for 30 minutes before bath and bedtime routines. So by the time the oldest is in bed it's after 8:30 p.m. Then I shower and am usually ready for bed myself.  

On my days off we relax a bit more in the morning, but we are dressed and ready to go by 9 a.m. I do an activity with them such as the park or a children's museum, then we have lunch around 11:30, read, nap for an hour, then of course it's playtime, chore time, dinner time and the nightly routine. It always seems like I am on the go and on the rare occasion that we are able to have a full day of relaxation I end up feeling lazy, like I should be doing something because there is always so much that needs done around the house. At night my hubby wants to cuddle and talk but I just want to zone out in my novel and fall asleep. I hope it gets less chaotic as the boys get older.....I feel like I don't have any time for myself sometimes. It's no wonder I don't have many strong friendships....

by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM

nope, my days are no where near that hectic.

when my kids were 4 & 2

DS got the bust at 8:15am dropped off at 3:30pm (M-F)

DD went to school 9:30-11:30 (T & TH)

Mondays - gym at 9, lunch with friends from 12-2, come home and just relax (NO NAPS after the age of 2)

Tuesdays My housekeeper comes, after school for DD we did lunch from 12-2 with friends and come home and relax

Wednesday, we had a standing playdate with DDs best friend from 10-2

Thursdays, after school we would go shopping

Fridays, she went to my aunts house at 10:30am

when DS came home from school, we more or less had a therapist here until Dinner, then daddy comes home and then bath, playtime and bed.  both kids go to bed between 9:30-10pm

Ollysmama08
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I have crazy days!! 

When i have school: Up at 5:45, do the things i need to in the bathroom (brush teeth, use bathroom, wash face), do hair, do makeup, get dressed, wake my daughter up @6:20, get her dressed and brush her teeth, do her hair, give her breakfast, pack myself lunch while she eats, bring her to my moms and be at school by 7:20(latest) get out of school around 2:45, pick her up from my moms, go home and play with her, @4 i do my homework while she "does homework" (she just colors on paper but calls it homework) i usually have to assist with potty, and wash hands and get toys out since she can't sit there a do "work" that long. Im usually done around 5:30/6 depending on what i have, i make dinner, clean dinner up and give bath (around 7ish) and she is in bed by 7:15. (on Wed. She has soccer practice @5:30) so we are running like chickens without heads

I dont have school on weekends and we are usualy just relaxing on saturdays &sometimes Sundays we need to leave 2-3 hrs opened for her soccer but thats it!

calvinsmommy18
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM
My kids are 4 and 8 months but our days vary cuz my work schedule varies. Like tomorrow I work 1030am to 630 pm. So we will get up around 7. Drop dd (8 months old) off to my mom by 8. Drop dh off at work (since his truck is broken). Drop ds off at preschool by 830. Drive the 1/2 hour to work. Wait to work since its a waste to go back home. (20 extra miles). Ds will take the bus home to my moms. Dh will pick the kids up from my moms. Then when I come home I have to take ds to MILs cuz I work early on Thursday and dh will never be able to make sure ds gets to school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Some days can be that hectic. But I try to balance it out with staying home when we don't have to be any where. At least one day a week usually Mondays we stay home and don't do much because Sundays we are usually out of the house all day. It makes it easier to get through the rest of the week.

ramblinmama
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 6:40 PM

I need to be more firm on the staying home thing. One day a week we just do things around the house and relax. That'll be my winter goal. I did stop going to a large playgroup a few months ago and that freed up some time. All it did was stress me out when I attended anyway. 25 kids running around a several gossiping moms. Not my idea of a good time lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)